Picking on Silver stock

Freeman A.Gain

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of an issue with printing on silver foil repo stock. Two form with opaque white and then 4 colour. First one had basically spot opaque, then 4 colour. Ran fantastic! Second one was almost a flood opaque, with some knockout for silver to come through. When I went to print 4 colour on top, white lifted/pulled off! Shizer! Need to try and salvage what I can, stock will be 1-2 weeks away if needed. Any ideas? Coat with AQ? I'm at a loss?? Probably should have ran a primer coat first, but too late now!

Thanks for any input

Couple of questions before I can make a recommendation:

1. Are we talking sheetfed or web?
2. Oil Base, Flexo, or UV Ink?
3. Was the ink formulated for non-pourous substrates?
4. Was the foil a film laminate or metallized with a top coat?
5. Did the white pick off only where you were applying the 4/C process?
6. Has this job already had an aqueous coating applied?
7. Can you post some pictures?

Thanks Bob,
1) Sheetfed
2) UV ink
3) Flint UV Opaque white, 7700 series, but not high adhedsion
4) Not sure.. repo vinyl. I think foil?
5) Only in certain spots.. full coverage white with almost full coverage 4c
6)No AQ applied yet
7) Probably not, but I will try.

Cheers

Sounds like the metallic foil did not have enough surface tension for the UV ink to bind to. A primer coating prior to printing is probably the best solution.

Alright, based on what you've indicated the problem may be due to the following or combination of each:

1. Providing the vinyl is not top coated, it could be due to a very low dyne level of the substrate. If you have any virgin stock left over, have Flint or a local ink company check it. It should be above 38 dynes/cm.

2. First down white not fully cured. Opaque white is the most difficult color to cure. Furthermore, if your double hitting the white, you should have a lamp after each unit. Also, check the lamp output at each unit and make absolutely sure that the reflector is clean and not hazed. A hazed reflector will diffuse the UV light/energy and slow cure speed.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk.

Regards,
Bob

Thanks a bunch Bob!

I have a dyne pen and it reads over 42( highest one I have). The UV is cured. New bulbs and cleaned reflector are a certain. Lots of maintenance done, regularly.

I guess my question really is - Can I save the job by doing something to the white to make it work? I will be attempting to AQ coat it then 4c. Fingers crossed, but its probably hooped?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back