Picture Framing ... as per ink content

MMI_74

I think there is plentiful of discussion on picture framing in the forum. Discussion involved like roller pressure, foutain solution, calcium content etc... Yet I'd like to know is how the ink formulation/content could have caused the picture framing? Since I have encountered two different inks series in the press, exaltly same foutain, same plate, same (almost) setting: one is completely ok but the other shown poor picture framing, even only up to 5k~10k sheets...

For the record, could you describe exactly what you mean by picture framing? Maybe post an image or graphic?

thanks j

My theory is some inks hold out against water better than others, and therefore dont show this problem as much.

If the ink is not formulated with high quality resins and pigments, the viscosity will be lower and it will break down in some fountain solutons. Years ago many good ink companies were dry gringing pigments but due to high cost, most of them uses flush colors now. The problem is the ink manufacturer does not know what kind of resins are used to make the flush colors by the flush color manufacturer. If the ink takes up more water on press, you have to push more water to clean the plate and this will weaken the paper fibers. Also the more water you push, the less density you get, so you have to push more ink and more water and you will never achieve good ink/water balance.
At least in your case you found a better ink and I would say you stick with it and do not listen to the other ink companies excuses for poor performance of thier ink.

Dear Sir
We are having the same picture framing problem on HD XL105 10 colour. We are using Flint ink Series 918. can you help us? and if you solved the problem with another ink can you suggest which one?
Regards
Pierre

ive experienced this in the past and about pulled my hair out trying to get a handle on it. It was an intermittent problem that seemed to be very random.
After trying everything i could think of along with suggestions from all of our suppliers to no avail i had just about given up because as annoying as it was the short run nature of the work we were doing never had it getting bad enough to compromise print quality. Seemed like there was no problem as long as the runs were under 10,000 sheets. Once it got bad enough to work its way into the image areas the only cure was a new plate.
After close to a year of this problem coming and going i finally stumbled upon a trend that had never been even considered by myself or anyone else in the orginazation. I noticed that our plate supplier (who will remain nameless) was sending us plates with varying grain directions. Im not remembering which grain direction was the problem but i surely noticed that in one direction the problem existed and in the other direction there was no sign of problem at all. The way i was able to notice this trend was by observing the "feel" of the plates as i was preparing them to be mounted on the press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back