Plate scratches and fingerprints...help?!

J Jones

Hi folks! I'm new to the forum and have a question that I'm extremely hopeful someone can help me out with:

My company has battled a problem with plates since long before I joined the organization (<2 years ago). We experience an inordinate amount of what appear to be handling scratches and the dreaded fingerprints. The problem appears to be exacerbated when humidity season rolls around (although our shop is fully climate-controlled) and management wants to nail that as the sole source of the problem paying very little mind to the possibility of chemistry or plate (Kodak) problems....

I work for a company that has home-grown, literally, 98% of its staff and that has a universally limited appreciation for what I call the real world of printing. The one thing I know for a fact (having worked for seven different organizations in five different states over the years) is that I have never *never* seen a scratch/fingerprint problem like we have here. I should also mention that I have worked in climate-controlled shops as well as two dreadful shops that didn't even have A/C, never mind real climate-controls. At one shop, we measured nightly humidity rates as high as 90% during the summer. I'm talking condensation dripping off of everything and webs getting soaked at the chills everytime you had to stop the press.

The point of all that blabber is that, in spite of the widely varied environmental conditions I've worked in, I've still never seen this kind of problem with plates. I'm a chemistry guy myself, but my education is far more advanced at the press (fountain solution, ink, etc.), than it is in pre-press. Is there any advice someone could pass along that I could maybe bring to our pre-press manager as a suggestion to help prod him in the right direction with these problems?

Thanks! :eek:)

Re: Plate scratches and fingerprints...help?!

Probably no help but when I was working in a University as a photographer we had a number of postgraduate researchers who did their own sheet film processing. Everyone was okay except for one lady who was only was suffering from contamination and fingerprints etc. This was eventually traced to an excessive use of cosmetics (she was a beauty queen in her home country). A 'ban' on these (esp. hand creams - it was before the days of wearing gloves etc) cured the problem. I wonder if they may be a similar problem for the fingerprints - use of a barrier cream perhaps?

Thanks for the response, Andrew. Unfortunately, that and food contamination were the first things we considered. The personnel all (including the press operators) wear gloves now when handling the plates.

Hi Jeremy,

just a thought, but are all operators using gloves at all stages of the process, including when unwrapping plates and loading them into your output device. If you have a fingerprint problem - then somewhere in the process, somebody is not wearing gloves.
Is it every plate? or can it be traced to a particular shift or operator?

Jeremy,

We had these same issues with Fuji plates and found that two of our night time pre press guys were most of the problem.
We increased the amount of gum in the finish and before removing plates from the stacker, the paper slip sheets must be replaced. BEFORE MOVING THE PLATES. Once we started doing this the problem went away.

Todd

Have you tried a plate directly out of the box yourself: exposed and unexposed?

We have used fuji ctp plates for many years and recently came across this problem. fuji came in and checked out the presses for any wear against plates, font solution and many more things on the press. then they changed all the chemistry in plate processor, still the problem persists, I then watered the gum 50/50. this solved the problem, no more finger prints and scratching.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back