Plate Size

pabney

We have a Fuji Dart 4300S (Branded Screen 4300s) That is giving us a plate to small error. After checking, we have found we have some plates that are about 1.5 mm small. I would not think that this would be off enough to cause the problem.
What is the tolerance for plate size and is it adjustable?

Thanks
Paul

We have a Javelin 8300 and run Fuji LH-PJ plates thru it. We too got the "plate too small error" a couple months back on account of Fuji switching over from Standard to Metric on the plate sizes. Our plates were only off by 1 mm but that's all it took. You should be able to change the plate sizes in control panel of the plate setter.

I know there should be a place to set the plate size, however I can not seem to locate it. I was hoping for a place to set a + or - tolerance for the plates. As not all of them are causing an error.

Paul

That's about the tolerance right there, 1.5 mm or so.
It checks the measurement in both directions, and both directions , and each direction has it issues.
On a Pos plate, especially, the horizontal measure across the drum is needed for clearing out the image on plate. If it were wrong, it might leave strips of emulsion on the left or right side.
More critical, the measure around the drum, or vertical measure, lets the PTR know where to lay the tail clamps. This could be a disaster if the plate were too long or short and lead to a plate fly-off. Lastly, the error also checks the operator error of simply putting the incorrect plate that might be close in size.
What could go wrong?
sensors, especially the horizontal sensors on the plate centering device. since they move, the wires have been known to go bad, or are sometimes soldered to the sensor rather than depend on the ever-loosening connector.
The sizing system isn't calibrated. Should have been done at install.
The plates are cut slightly wrong (your case).
So, measure the plates and input the measured length and width into the "Plate" menu in the User's Menus. You'll have to move it back, likely, when the next batch of plates come in.
Take care to measure the plates with a good ruler! Every print shop seems to have dozens of rulers around, and if you start laying them side by side you might be surprised by the disagreement! (especially the ones people shot on their cameras with film!)
Good Luck

NJservice,
Thanks for all the info. It may be that that plate has changed size sightly. The platesetter was set for 745 mm but the plate box says 744 mm. Not sure if the platesetter was set wrong in the beginning (not likely as it is 3 years old) or if the plates have changed sizes.
Either way it is fixed and everything is good.

Paul

Hi, Could you help with explanation how to calibrate autoloader y size on Screeen 4000
Since couple of days I have on some plates error that y direction on the plate is too long.
I have measured the plates and they are equal 745/605. Also the plates that dosnt loaded one time on the second time was loaded correctly.
I checked the chain stepper motor and all 3 sensors on the bridge they work.I have service manual on MCAL for Heidelberg 74 there is discribe how to calibrate the (teach) y size of the autoloader with one long and one short plate but when I make it the maschine after first loading cyckle doesnt show error message (its finished with calibrating first y size) instead of this autolader keep loading new plate.
Thank you in advance
Best Regards Krasimir Georgiev

That's about the tolerance right there, 1.5 mm or so.
It checks the measurement in both directions, and both directions , and each direction has it issues.
On a Pos plate, especially, the horizontal measure across the drum is needed for clearing out the image on plate. If it were wrong, it might leave strips of emulsion on the left or right side.
More critical, the measure around the drum, or vertical measure, lets the PTR know where to lay the tail clamps. This could be a disaster if the plate were too long or short and lead to a plate fly-off. Lastly, the error also checks the operator error of simply putting the incorrect plate that might be close in size.
What could go wrong?
sensors, especially the horizontal sensors on the plate centering device. since they move, the wires have been known to go bad, or are sometimes soldered to the sensor rather than depend on the ever-loosening connector.
The sizing system isn't calibrated. Should have been done at install.
The plates are cut slightly wrong (your case).
So, measure the plates and input the measured length and width into the "Plate" menu in the User's Menus. You'll have to move it back, likely, when the next batch of plates come in.
Take care to measure the plates with a good ruler! Every print shop seems to have dozens of rulers around, and if you start laying them side by side you might be surprised by the disagreement! (especially the ones people shot on their cameras with film!)
Good Luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back