Poll: Switching to Affinity?

What is your level of experience and/or use of Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher?

• We're seeing more clients using Affinity, but we don't have the software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We don't use Adobe or Affinity. We use Corel Draw or other software.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I bought the software a while ago to test out. They are cheap and feature rich, though they are not something I would replace Adobe with at the moment. Outside of the comfort of knowing how Adobe apps work and familiarity the big thing for Adobe is it is pretty much an industry standard. I never worry about or need to fight with designers native files and making sure we are on the same version. I remember years ago this was a headache and in a few cases caused us to upgrade Adobe to be able to work with a design house. Over all I think Adobe is more refined, but Affinity is great bang for your buck and if it does work for your workflow it is a real cost saver.

Our newspaper workflow depends on a plug-in for InDesign that's not available for Affinity Publisher, so we're not looking to leave that one Adobe product. In the process of looking at Affinity products to replace Illustrator and Photoshop; not seeing an alternative to Acrobat.
Dropping the Suite but keeping subscriptions to only two Adobe products won't cut our costs by a huge amount, but it's also kinda the principle of the thing.
So we don't know yet.

Our newspaper workflow depends on a plug-in for InDesign that's not available for Affinity Publisher, so we're not looking to leave that one Adobe product. In the process of looking at Affinity products to replace Illustrator and Photoshop; not seeing an alternative to Acrobat.
Dropping the Suite but keeping subscriptions to only two Adobe products won't cut our costs by a huge amount, but it's also kinda the principle of the thing.
So we don't know yet.
Currently using Qoppa PDF Studio instead. YMMV

A new note about Illustrator for those watching this thread:
We have used Ill for decades to create our die strikes.
The last files we sent to the die maker got a note back essentially saying WTF? with all the extraneous lines.
Sure enough the single die, created in Ill, as a NEW FILE, TO SIZE, had two or three additional clipping masks applied somewhere around tabloid size.
When we imposed the single to multi-up this compounded the problems.
So I went back to basics to confirm and yes Ill was placing additional 'clipping paths'.
Took the original into Affinity Designer which KEPT THE ORIGINAL PAGE SIZE, switched to outline view, cut ONLY the die to the clipboard, deleted all, pasted die, saved as new die.
Perfect.
Sigh.
Do NOT get me started about how Illustrator CHANGES THE DOCUMENT SIZE - to what IT thinks should be the default - every dang time you save.

Last edited:
A new note about Illustrator for those watching this thread:
We have used Ill for decades to create our die strikes.
The last files we sent to the die maker got a note back essentially saying WTF? with all the extraneous lines.
Sure enough the single die, created in Ill, as a NEW FILE, TO SIZE, had two or three additional clipping masks applied somewhere around tabloid size.
When we imposed the single to multi-up this compounded the problems.
So I went back to basics to confirm and yes Ill was placing additional 'clipping paths'.
Took the original into Affinity Designer which KEPT THE ORIGINAL PAGE SIZE, switched to outline view, cut ONLY the die to the clipboard, deleted all, pasted die, saved as new die.
Perfect.
Sigh.
Do NOT get me started about how Illustrator CHANGES THE DOCUMENT SIZE - to what IT thinks should be the default - every dang time you save.
They just updated it today.
Seems to have changed the behavior for the better.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back