Possible new proofing wide format printer

So as a backup to whether or not I can fix our epson 9880 the powers that be have seen fit for me to research other printers for proofing, just in case. Any reccomendations? Am proofing to "G7" standard, our rip is an EFI 3.1, yeah I know probably will need to upgrade that too. So printer reccomendations and/or rip, cheapest upgrade I've seen for rip is 1200 (EFI).
Thanks for your help in advance!
C

Try to get hold of another 9880 off eBay etc. A different machine will introduce a new crop of problems. With a homogenous fleet, you will spare a lot on inks, spit tanks. And... no need to update the EFI!

Try to get hold of another 9880 off eBay etc. A different machine will introduce a new crop of problems. With a homogenous fleet, you will spare a lot on inks, spit tanks. And... no need to update the EFI!
I would have to disagree with this. The 9880 is 10+ years old and not supported any longer, they are somewhat easy to repair but you're going to run into issues with any printer that old. One issue you will run into soon is the availability of inks, OEM inks will no longer be available for that printer before too long.

The best option to replace that printer on a budget is going to be an Epson P8000. You're going to need a new RIP too, EFI will no longer do upgrades from v3.x or v4.x so you'd likely either be buying a new version of Fiery XF or PrintFactory RIP. There are of course many options for RIPs but those two tend to be the most economical for proofing.

I would have to disagree with this. The 9880 is 10+ years old and not supported any longer, they are somewhat easy to repair but you're going to run into issues with any printer that old. One issue you will run into soon is the availability of inks, OEM inks will no longer be available for that printer before too long.
Aliexpress and Alibaba is full of parts and consumables for that line of printers. You can rebuild a machine to factory new state using what's available for pennies.

Hmmm, perhaps a better explanation of my situation, Boss said if I couldn't get the printer running like yesterday I need to get a proofing solution up and running with all haste. So am waiting on my part and hoping it works (crossed fingers). In the meantime I am supposed to come up with alternate proofing solutions (ie what I can go and get now) and pricing. Since all I have known is epson and efi I am trying to determine what would work for us as a reliable proofing system. All this and don't slack on the work your supposed to be doing (prepress)!

Tell your boss that either he/she will spend a lot of money (on a new Epson printer + updating Fiery + buying new consumables), or he/she has to be a bit more patient. Introducing a whole new system into the workflow might take weeks to accomplish. The cheapest option is still to buy a second-hand Epson x880, which is proven, reliable technology. Newer machines have their own, new problems like the dreaded head-dying of the x900 Epsons.

Well tentatively looking like the 9880 may come back, installed new pump and cap assembly and am getting 2 lines printing, unfortunately ran out of ink before I can do power cleaning. I have been looking at the offerings from Canon (image PROGRAF PRO-4100), HP (Z9) and Epson (P-9000), as well as colorProof from GMG and upgrade to EFI both of which I was wondering if i needed to purchase separate components (ie rip then proofing option) for them. Also looking at ProofMaster as has been recomended.

Output one page each day and you will never have any problems with that printer. Long live old Epsons!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back