PowerSwitch and Quark Xpress

pdf_doctor

We are trying to automate pdf creation for jobs coming in from our ftp site using Switch. I have had good success with InDesign, but Quark is a crapshoot. First off, we are used to using the "Export" option from Quark as opposed to "File Print" method. It's been a long time since I have had to worry about Printers and PPDs. Is there a way to make a pdf to the correct size without having to create custom page sizes in the print dialogue? We are testing Instant PDF, will it help out?

Would like to hear from anyone who has experience with setting Switch up to work with Quark. If so, is it something that you would reccomend or steer clear of?

Thanks,
Shane

Re: PowerSwitch and Quark Xpress

Hi Shane,

You're working on a Mac?
Switch is limited to save as PostScript, but you could set up an Applescript that will allows you to use the direct PDF export.

Instant PDF will definitely help you with the page size issue. In Instant PDF you have the option to enable the original document page size instead of the page size given by the PPD.
Are you working with Quark 6 or 7? Version 7 should have a solution for this.

cheers,
Brain

Hey Brain!

I think if he's going to go with Quark to PDF for Quark 6 or 7 via SWITCH that he use Axaio MadeToPrint Auto XT for SWITCH. He'd then have a lot more control over how exactly things get done in SWITCH.

Hi Matt,

I agree. Axaio can be of great help when working with native Quark files and you have the possibility to set it up in FullSwitch or PowerSwitch.

cheers,
Brain

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back