Preflight checks, is this possible?

CruzinCooler

Hello, Here's my situation, and long request. I'm running Pitstop Pro 2019 on my work computer with the desire to implement my Preflight Profile to our Pitstop Server v19. I'm working from home with PS Pro v2020. I'm looking for a preflight profile with all these checks:
Lo-Res
RGB
Fonts Embedded
Transparency
Spot Colors (Color Space)
Layers
Trim Size
Media Size
Bleed
Layers
Generate a report
Email the report
I would like to incorporate all the problems with eventual fixes. Possibly re-directing to different hot folders for specific issues. But thats another issue.
While I understand certain fixes such as raster images without bleed, font embedding licensing, etc., would and can be an issue.
As it stands I have a preflight profile that does must of this:
Lo-Res
RGB
Fonts Not Embedded
Spots
Transparency
Also I just set the check for anything larger than an inch so it generates the trim size in the report. But I'm looking for all sizes including, media, trim and bleed.
Layers is where it gets trickier because there are quite a few checks as opposed to an overall check. I think.
I noticed an earlier post regarding layers and while it doesn't always show up while opening the PDF in Acrobat, but once ripped it prints. A huge issue. We run all those files through Prinergy to fix it. I guess it gets rid of the hidden layers. Not that familiar with Prinergy.
Much thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Prinergy needs an extra module to retain the Layers, I think called Versioning.
Prinergy 1st refine will honour the layer settings in the pdf but the refined pdf will have all the content on one layer. You can edit those Layer settings up front in Acrobat Pro, visibility and printing, but if like me you have Output Preview window open most of the time you don't see the hidden layers in acrobat then you don't see it in Prinergy so you ask the customer where the spot UV is and they tell you its on an invisible layer and thought it would be obvious.
You can tell Prinergy which layers to honour or ignore during the Refine process (its under Edit Profile during a manual refine of a Layered PDF but again the refine is normally automated or you hit ok on that window before you even notice.
Prinergy in List mode will tell you in the Input window whether the pdf is layered.
Prinergy in the Refined pdfs window will tell you Trim and Media sizes and spot colours. just set up the columns.

Prinergy needs an extra module to retain the Layers, I think called Versioning.
Prinergy 1st refine will honour the layer settings in the pdf but the refined pdf will have all the content on one layer. You can edit those Layer settings up front in Acrobat Pro, visibility and printing, but if like me you have Output Preview window open most of the time you don't see the hidden layers in acrobat then you don't see it in Prinergy so you ask the customer where the spot UV is and they tell you its on an invisible layer and thought it would be obvious.
You can tell Prinergy which layers to honour or ignore during the Refine process (its under Edit Profile during a manual refine of a Layered PDF but again the refine is normally automated or you hit ok on that window before you even notice.
Prinergy in List mode will tell you in the Input window whether the pdf is layered.
Prinergy in the Refined pdfs window will tell you Trim and Media sizes and spot colours. just set up the columns.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

You can do all of that stuff in your first post using Prinergy Preflight+ (not Advanced Preflight) during the refine process.

You can do all of that stuff in your first post using Prinergy Preflight+ (not Advanced Preflight) during the refine process.
Thanks Joe, unfortunately we don't send all the jobs through Prinergy. We get files in and out the same day, financial and health industry work that requires them in and out in hours (with a lot of variable data, names, addresses, etc.), including mailing. Our basic preflight through Pitstop works well enough but now we are trying to streamline the process where we just dump all the files through Pitstop server ahead of time and it kicks out the error files to hot folders for fixes and sends a report to the customers to hopefully have them fix files in the future (insert laugh track here).There are thousands of multipage PDFs to process everyday. Im just looking for the mother of all preflights to ease the operators issue with problem files and just set the files to go to the proper RIPs and presses with zero issues. Qualty isn't a main concern, but speed and correct output is.

Sounds reasonable. Drop me a mail and we can go through it.
[email protected]
Thank you Andrew for the November workshop. I appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly go through each and every point of the process. Also Switch looks to be an amazing product if a bit intimidating. LOL Thanks again and Happy Birthday.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back