Prepress Training

Reminds me of my variable data training.
Late on friday: "we have a variable data job due Monday" Research the software, buy it, learn it and produce the job. You can come in Saturday if you want"

Reminds me of my variable data training.
Late on friday: "we have a variable data job due Monday" Research the software, buy it, learn it and produce the job. You can come in Saturday if you want"

been there done that . . . lost the shirt:)

Gentlemen,

Having read the comments, I thought you would like to know what my colleagues

in the art of Graphic Reproduction learned during their apprenticeship, before

so called Pre-Pres and Photoshop.

Which in my opinion the combined USA/European printing industry gave away

all this knowledge for free!

Regards, Alois

PDFs - which hope you will find of interest and value.

Attachments

• Graphic Repro # A1010.pdf
    714.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Graphic Repro # 1009.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 285
  • Graphic Repro # 2008.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 301
A blanket reply to all comments: I believe a qualified prepress tech should somehow be involved with all of these "Graphic Arts" programs at any higher learning facility. Perhaps just a one day intensive or just the damned basics. I would do it for free just to save some poor tech down the road having to deal with 100+ pages (all JPEGs with no bleed or some other ridiculous, easily correctable mistake). I had someone from the United Way submit a 144 page book with rich black text throughout (even 6 - 12pt type on a 27x38 press sheet). I told her "That is not going to work out at press time. It needs to be black only and overprint". Her response...."My professor said that rich black looks better". These poor saps spend thousands of dollars to learn how to place text next to an image...and that's about it.

If they would at least take their students on a field trip to a printing company to see the actual process/minutiae of printing, we might all be spared some headaches. Perhaps the instructor might even learn a thing or two....I know..."in a perfect world".

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back