Preps 6 collating mark

lnivin

I've created a new collating mark for a Perfect Bound layout. When I place it on the layout, Preps says it's there by turning the mark blue, but I can't find it. I've tried turning off everything but marks and it's still no where to be found. Even reduced to see the pasteboard area. Nothing.

Let me try this again. We now have collating marks that work whether it's a vertical spine or a horizontal spine. But if we have two 12-pagers on each sig, the horizontal collating marks don't even appear in Preps. It acts like it is adding them, and under Edit I can remove them, but there is no visual reference for them. After refining they are not on any sig.

Screencaptures to show what is happening.
Collation marks 1.pdf shows the mark placed in Preps - it's an Illustrator mark that has been used to create a SmartMark.
Collation marks 2.pdf shows how the signature looks after processing through Prinergy.
Collation marks 3.pdf shows a closer view of Collation marks 2.pdf
Collation marks 4.pdf shows how we had to place the mark to get it to work in final signature.

Attachments

• Collation marks 1.pdf
    377.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Collation marks 2.pdf
    76.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Collation marks 3.pdf
    62.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Collation marks 4.pdf
    256.2 KB · Views: 247
I haven't used Preps 6 yet but doesn't it have built in collation marks? Preps 5 has them built into the program. I would assume that you're having bounding box issues from Illustrator.

Preps 6 does have built in collation marks, but they don't seem to work on forms that have 2 different 12up sigs. I thought it was a bounding box issue also, so we resaved images in Illustrator CS3 as EPS and PDF (thinking that CS3 was the version of choice for older Preps programs). The document page size is the size of the mark. Nothing is on the pasteboard. Still didn't work.

Last edited:
Are you using a multiple section template? If not Preps may not know where to place the collation mark.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back