Presstek buys Townsend Industries?

cymk

I heard a rumor that Presstek the makers of lasers for the consumable burning engines called the DI which are made by Ryobi have struck another blow to a USA company that manufactures press equipment.
The famous Townsend T51 or the T Head as we know it was bought by Presstek and the parts inventory will only be sold to contract customers that Presstek has. No doubt the purchase is because Presstek is looking out for and helping their customers that have service contracts on their Analog machines.
It has nothing to do with Presstek using their leverage to stamp out the small offset market unless it says Ryobi. The last I heard Presstek wished not to service the older machines and just concentrate on the almighty DI.
If you small printers depend on a T51 for 2 color hold on to your drawers, if this rumor is true.
CYMK
digitalprintplanet.com

It's possible, but it would be contrary to your own statement. If they are looking upmarket, why would they spend the money? Also, I doubt it would be legal to only sell to their contract customers.

Well, if it's true , Im glad someone picked up Townsend. I knew they were going out of business just hoped that it wasn't a complete shut down as far as production of parts etc. I have to agree with BillJ. In this marketplace, and any other for that matter, it would be a very poor decision on their part to limit their ability to turn product and start to recover their investment, but stranger things have happened. I guess time will tell.

This is a sad day when i was a tech Rep for Multigraphics i went through the T-51 School in Iowa and those folks there were so nice to us Bob was a great guy showed us allot whaile we were there the school was on his farm and he will be missed. God bless Bob.

Friday, May 21, 2010 For Immediate Release

Townsend Industries, Inc. 6650 Northeast 41st Avenue Altoona, IA

TOWNSEND INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCES COMPANY CLOSING

Townsend Industries of Altoona, Iowa will be ending operations on Thursday, June 17, 2010 after over fifty years in business. Employees were notified of the closing in a company meeting on Thursday. The company was started in 1957 by Bob Townsend, who invented and manufactured the T-51 or "T-Head" to allow two-pass, two-color printing on small format offset presses. The product was recognized by nearly every major offset duplicator as a vital option to their presses and was sold worldwide. Townsend passed away on February 22, 2010, leaving a legacy of compassion for his employees and patronage in the city of Altoona, Iowa. He was instrumental in dozens of causes and charitable organizations, the development of the Altoona Campus gym and exercise center, Southeast Polk Dollars for Scholars, Altoona Food Bank and the Altoona Public Library among others

Last edited:
T-51's official website says that Printers Repair Parts bought all rights, molds, parts,etc from Townsend Industries

Thanks for the update. At least it was not bought by Presstek. T51 deserves better than to be bought by a company that is nothing but a RYOBI clone.

Wake up America let us produce a press again!

CYMK

Presstek seems to be a tough outfit to deal with. A friend has an AB Dick DPM 2508 platesetter that's on the blink. They want $750.00 just to come in the door and look at it. The unit is not made any more but Presstek claims they still "support" it.

From my dealings with Presstek. I think anything you do with them is going to start costing more. Let's face it. their struggling.

This is a sad day when i was a tech Rep for Multigraphics i went through the T-51 School in Iowa and those folks there were so nice to us Bob was a great guy showed us allot whaile we were there the school was on his farm and he will be missed. God bless Bob.

Friday, May 21, 2010 For Immediate Release

Townsend Industries, Inc. 6650 Northeast 41st Avenue Altoona, IA

TOWNSEND INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCES COMPANY CLOSING

Townsend Industries of Altoona, Iowa will be ending operations on Thursday, June 17, 2010 after over fifty years in business. Employees were notified of the closing in a company meeting on Thursday. The company was started in 1957 by Bob Townsend, who invented and manufactured the T-51 or "T-Head" to allow two-pass, two-color printing on small format offset presses. The product was recognized by nearly every major offset duplicator as a vital option to their presses and was sold worldwide. Townsend passed away on February 22, 2010, leaving a legacy of compassion for his employees and patronage in the city of Altoona, Iowa. He was instrumental in dozens of causes and charitable organizations, the development of the Altoona Campus gym and exercise center, Southeast Polk Dollars for Scholars, Altoona Food Bank and the Altoona Public Library among others
My dad worked for Townsend for 25+ years. Bob was a great guy and always loved going his place with the merry-go-round when we'd be in Altoona for corporate meetings or whatever.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back