Presstek Dimension 450 AL Excel Plate compatibility

danos

Hi everybody!.

We own a small print shop located in Greece and we are about to purchase an entry level ctp (2up or 4up). We are very close to "Presstek Dimension 450 AL Excel" but there are some issues that I would be greatfull if someone could give me some advice.

*1. Plate compatibility:* I noticed that most (If not all) CTP systems are compatible with several thermal plates available in the market. Some of the companies they officially make that statement.
On the contrary Presstek does not officially says anything about that *but unofficially* I was told by many salesmen and some tech guys from presstek that there is no single problem on using other plate than "Anthem Pro". The only thing I have to change is something on the processor which has to do with the gum. (Anthem Pro requires only water while oter plate require water and gum.)

We did some research and we noticed on the specs sheets of Dimension 450 that the laser emint on a wavelenght around 930nm while all thermal plates I am aware are sensitive to ~830nm. So the first thing I thought was that other plates rather than "Anthem Pro" are just... incompatible...

Does anybody has any experiance on using other plates than "Anthem Pro"?

*2. Alternative CTPs:* Other CTPs systems we are lookin on are *Kodak Magnus 400 II (4up)* and *Agfa Accento (2up).*

I would appreciate if someone is aware of the above systems. The only thing that I did not like on Kodak and Agfa the automatic loader is available only as an option while pressetek has an automatic loader ( of around 20 plates) included.

Thank you all for your time.

Re: Presstek Dimension 450 AL Excel Plate compatibility

Hello Iordanis,

I can not answer for Presstek and whether any plates will work with their laser. Have you looked at the Suprasetter A75? It has one of the smallest footprints with the Auto Top Loader (ATL) that sits on top of the recorder. Depending on guage, it will hold 100 to 50 plates. The laser system is 830nm, has a spot size of 10 micron and is only active when image plates, not when the machine is turned on. We have over 40 plates certified on it so you do not have to be concerned. You can increase automation by having internal punches. Here is a link.

[Suprasetter A52/75|http://www.heidelberg.com/www/html/...ess/suprasetter/suprasetter_a52_a75,overview]

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

The P in Presstek stands for one thing...Proprietary. They call their products consumable burning engines. They and the stock holders count on you having to buy your supplies and service from them. More money in their pockets etc. There are so many other companies that make good products why settle for them?
Look carefully before signing the papers.

Thanks for your response offset guy.
The thing is that I tallked with a tech guy (which happens to be a person of trust) and he was very sure that I can use other plates on the Dimension Excell.
He said that all depends on some adjustments to the laser which can be made via the software that comes with the machine...
But I would like to know if someone has such experience..

We are very unsure about which ctp system should finally purchase..:-(

Hi,

we have the same Dimension Excel 450. Sure you can use other plates - Applause plates. We were using these plates no water or chemical wash - can take straight to press after plated - gives more detail on 4 clr process. Since its bit expensive we switched to Anthem - had some problems - now we are using Anthem Pro - its excellent - just water wash.

Hi Viju,

I think he is referring to non Presstek plates, all the plates you mentioned are Presstek plates.

I guess another question to ask if non Presstek plates were used, would the CtP warranty be valid?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the hint. Well, I don't think we used some other plates. Guess it should work only with these plates, that's what I've seen so far in couple of other printshops too.

Viju

Hi; we have a Dim 800, older model. Have tested the Agfa Azure plate, with zero problems. Currently use the new Auroa Pro plate and love it. Ran the Anthem Pro for years with little trouble. Never had a bad batch of plates from Presstek. I say it was the best move we ever made.
Thanks and good luck Bill

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back