print chopped up when printed Indesign

mach1korea

Hi Guys

I'm new Indesign, I have been trying to print the attached picture but as you can see it's not quite right :confused:, it displays correctly on the screen. It prints OK if I print it as a bitmap or print the picture via photoshop . If I also export it as a pdf when I print it from adobe reader I get the same result all chopped up.
Is there something I'm doing incorrectly?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Save0005.JPG
    Save0005.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 204
I have seen some similair phenomenom on screen from pdf's created via an Auto Document Scanner on our copier.
What is listed as the Application created by in the pdf Document Properties?
Woops, what file type is that image?

what file format is the picture and what version of Indesign?
It may be a slightly corrupted image/pref file, you may want to try to open the file in Photoshop and "save as", sometimes that will do wonders.

print chopped up when printed Indesign

Hi Guys

I'm using CS5, the original photo was a .jpeg but all the effects and cutting out was done in photoshop and saved as a .png. The screen rendering in photoshop and the print out are OK, indesign render on the monitor is OK. When I print it out it's corrupted but if I choose bitmap print it's OK. Again if I output it as a pdf on screen it looks OK its only the print out that is wrong.
I did read some where it could be the printer not handling the postscript correctly I'm using a HP photosmart D7160.
As I have no other printer I don't know if when it is published it wont be corrupted as well.

Anyone have any ideals?

Cheers

Question 1, why are you using a png file, png stands for portable network graphic, I would suggest opening it up in photoshop and saving it as a .ps file and then placing it in InDesign . . . give it a try and let us know if it makes a difference.

I meant photoshop file not a postscript . . . . . . tiffs are a good file format tooooo

I'd suspect that it's an issue with the RIP as well. Especially since it works when you have InDesign or Acrobat pre-process it into a bitmap image. Sometimes the Postscript emulators used by some of the printers can get funky with certain graphics.

If you have the full version of Acrobat, including Distiller you can always try printing a .ps (a postscript file, not Photoshop in this case) and then running that through Acrobat Distiller to get a PDF. This is a slightly different process than the normal InDesign PDF export since you're going though Postscript, just like your printer. Distiller is really a small software RIP that processes postscript files and converts them into PDF. If the file processes through Distiller than it's probably the RIP in your printer that’s causing the problem and not a just a corrupt file.

Shawn

Hi Guys

I'm using CS5, the original photo was a .jpeg but all the effects and cutting out was done in photoshop and saved as a .png. The screen rendering in photoshop and the print out are OK, indesign render on the monitor is OK. When I print it out it's corrupted but if I choose bitmap print it's OK. Again if I output it as a pdf on screen it looks OK its only the print out that is wrong.
I did read some where it could be the printer not handling the postscript correctly I'm using a HP photosmart D7160.
As I have no other printer I don't know if when it is published it wont be corrupted as well.

Anyone have any ideals?

Cheers

Photoshop will also rip a postscript file in case you dont have the full version of acrobat

Hi Guys

Thought it might be the printer, but will it print correctly if given to a print shop on there equipment?
regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin

That depends on the equipment, and there are way too many variables figure out remotely... but that question is relevant on any job. Just try to isolate your printer RIP from the equation, if you can get it to proof and preflight in Acrobat, in a PDF X format (X1a or X4) then you're probably good.

Shawn

Hi Guys

Thought it might be the printer, but will it print correctly if given to a print shop on there equipment?
regards
Kevin

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back