Print quality of an older HP Indigio 1000?

ScotJ

I see a fair bit of these on the used market for decent prices and I'm thinking of using it as a way of getting into the card and flyer printing biz (currently we do grand format printing [6+ ft]).

How does this machine compare to whats on the market today? Does it produce an acceptable resolution?

Just Say No

Just Say No

I have had years of experience with both the 1000 and 3000 models of the Indigo.
Too expensive and break too often.
Look at one of the new Canon Image Presses or Oce's 650 for card work.
Great color less expensive workhorses. You don't need a press anymore.
Good luck

I see a fair bit of these on the used market for decent prices and I'm thinking of using it as a way of getting into the card and flyer printing biz (currently we do grand format printing [6+ ft]).

How does this machine compare to whats on the market today? Does it produce an acceptable resolution?

Hi Scott - as nobody with more direct experience has chipped in, I'll tell you what I know. The series 1 machine would produce good work in the hands of a highly trained and skilled operator. In the hands of someone who wasn't really 100% up to speed with the indigo, they were reputed to be difficult.

I believe that HP has either stopped support for series 1 machines, or is in the process of stopping support and parts and service are going to be increasingly hard to come by. If you want to speak to people who really know about this stuff, then post on Home › Digital Print Forum » Technical help for digital print professionals (used to be known as Indigousers.net - the forum is independent of HP) and the folks there will give you far better info than I'm able to.

Hope that helps.

Too expensive for the times

Too expensive for the times

Scott,
What you don't need is a highly trained pressman that costs you way too much $$$.
The new Canon's, Xerox, Oce, Kodak machines are half the cost of an Indigo, the maintenance is half the cost, the click charge is half the cost, and your graphics person or persons can run it. I've been a production manager for the last 7 years in a digital printing company, 6 of those years I spent suffering over Indigos. I have an 28 addl. years of hands on experience as a conventional and digital prepress manager, Scitex system manager, customer service, sales, blah, blah, blah. Oh, did I mention you will double your throughput and lower your electric bill with one of the new machines?
Good luck,
DigitalKidd

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back