Print to Nexus from Snow Leopard?

pacart

Anyone able to print to the Nexus (9.0.3) printers without appletalk in snow leopard v. 10.6.4?

I have shared them on my other mac running 10.5.8 but when i print the queue says "on hold (authentication required)".

The only other thing i can think of is using the hotfolders, but its a bit more streamlined if i can just print from Indesign.

I know there is a "cups" utility that might work. Don't remember where I found it but I believe it creates a print protocal that might work. But to be honest, If you are using or planning on upgrading to the PDF at anytime, now might be the best time to stop using PS and start exporting to PDF.

i have been using pdf, but not to make my plates. The problem with pdf as far as i can see is that when exporting from indesign, there is no way to export as seperations to nexus. I have been printing the seperations to nexus for years now, but never exporting.

The only thing that has worked so far is printing a .ps and dropping on the hotfolder. I don't know of anything else.

Is this a problem for the newest version of nexus? or have they made the printers broadcast across bonjour or something else?

Setup a login password and/or user for each Mac computer. Then make sure you add that user and password to the keychain of the other Mac. This way it should just remember the login and password when trying to send your files over.

Is setting up the Login/password the way to get it to stop saying "on hold (authentication required)".?

If you do not have a login and password on the machine sharing the printer, how are you connecting to it? It is usually best to have a set login and password for each computer that you want to share printers and files from.

i do have logins, i use AFP with usernames and passwords. both computers have the info stored in keychain, but i still have the problem.

I guess the only new thing i am seeing is that when i "get info" they say they are connecting "afpovertcp" so it looks like this: afp://Bob's Mac Pro._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Bob

Should i be connecting via smb or try using the ip address?

Snow Leopard print workaround for Nexus

Snow Leopard print workaround for Nexus

You can successfully work around this issue by setting up Print Queues using an older OSX server (Tiger or Leopard) that still has Appletalk. Make certain you check off LPR with show name in Bonjour, AND IPP in your print queues / Print Service on OSX server.

This successfully allows us to print from Snow Leopard to the Bonjour spooler on the OSX server, which then relays to the Appletalk spooler on the Nexus server. It's been working for us for about 3 months. Still, even with this workaround it's no reason for Artworks not to develop Bonjour spoolers!!!!

that is quite a work around. I am in a similar situation where I have no idea how to talk to my EFI RIP server with out appletalk. Everyone else in my office has the latest macOS, while I'm still hanging on to to my 10.5.8 specifically so I can continue to print to our epson proofer.

If you have Nexus you have Nexus Manager.
Just make pdf files and drop them on the Manager. We do everything via the Manager here, no need anymore to fiddle around wit print settings, just drag&drop.

A second option can be to use The Shuttle. There are plugins (free) for Illustrator, if they have it for Indesign I don't know.

I take it you don't have PDF workflows and you are still resolving .ps and Oppo files?

Otherwise, why would you want to print out a files (.ps) and lose all of the .pdf functionality that you get with a PDF workflow?

As others have stated, you can utilize shared printers on a mac running an older OS.

Personally, I like shuttle. The XML settings available though shuttle make setting variable options (seperations, distortion, screening etc.) very user friendly.

I will say that an Indesign shuttle plugin would be nice!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back