Printing Blanket questions

jlind

I've been studying blankets offered by the major suppliers, looking for differences and reasons to use one over the other. When you come to web blankets, some are called "positive feed" and some are called "neutral feed." How does that work and how does the blanket know when to be "positive"? (Useful information in these turbulent economic times, as a printer!) Also, what surface would be smoother, cast or fine buffed?
Just a pilgrim, trying to understand the nuances of offset printing.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

The cast blanket is smoother and what you would call non-poros. The buffed blanket would be rougher and poros after a final grinding down in manufacturing.

I'm not a web guy at all and will check but for fun I'll take a shot??

Positive feed is maybe when top and bottom blankets pull the paper through the press. Neutral is when the press itself pulls the web through???

Just a wild guess. Maybe someone can shed some light while I'm finding out for sure

Web Offset Presses

Web Offset Presses

Also see Page 3 in the "Computer to Plate" forum, thread --- Registeration or !!!!!! Pressman, read my WORD doc. entitled ---
Web Offset Mechanics

Regards, Alois

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back