Printmaster 46-2 Water leaking from water tray

jotterpinky

I recently "inherited" two used Printmaster 46-2 presses. I'm having trouble figuring out how to set the water so it does not leak. If I put the water bottle on the tray and the machine is stopped the tray fills with water like it should and then stops draining from the bottle when it becomes full. However as soon as I start the press and turn on the water the bottle starts releasing water causing the pan to overflow and drip.

This is only a problem on the back printing unit so you can guess where the water drips...straight down onto the unprinted paper. We've ruined a fair amount trying to determine the problem but have been unsuccessful thus far. We've tried this on both machines, swapped water trays, water bottles, lids etc. We even went to the trouble of getting new lids as we originally thought it might be a faulty seal allowing the water to flow when slightly jarred. Nothing seems to help.

I should mention that this is my first time on this make of press so I'm unfamiliar with how this should work. Is there a simple setting / adjustment that I'm missing? I find it odd that it does this on both machines in the exact same way, almost as if this is how things should be.

Hi Jotter,

You're most likely going to need a new cap for the bottle, but first make sure you have the right bottle/cap in the right unit. Switch them out and see if it's any better. If not.....just order a new cap. There's no adjustment.

Good luck,
Dave

large cap for unit one (unit over delivery) Small cap for unit 2 (over feeder) Metal water tray is in unit 2. Also try changing water bottles and see it the same thing happens. Could be a leak in the bottle but that is less likely then the cap leaking. Be prepared to pay a hefty amount for that water cap. 10 years ago they were $120 but I am sure they have come down quite a bit since then. Probably around $50 now.

We also thought it was the water bottle cap and ordered 4 new ones (2 for each head) - about $70 each. However it is definitely not the cap. After some further study this morning this is what I've determined:

The water system when opened up to either 5 or 6 (six discrete positions with 6 being the most water) causes the rollers to carry too much water and consequently drop it (water starts dripping) when it reaches the dampening form roller. While I probably wont' run it open that far it makes for quite a mess on your paper if you do open it up that far. I'm wondering if perhaps we need new rollers or some sort of cleaner that will keep the water from beading up so to speak on the rollers and then be ripped off by centrifugal force as the rollers rotate. I've checked the rollers and they are all soft and are in pretty good condition except the water pan roller which I believe is supposed to be pretty hard.

Any thoughts?

Check your dampening system settings as well. One thing that seems to cause trouble is when the roller settings are adjusted, they are not setting at the right starting point.

Set dampening contact to minimum pressure (6) before setting.

Also it is noteworthy to mention that the dampening form for the first unit is a harder roller...

i also have a PM 46-2 with water dripping problems on the 2nd unit. i had a heidelberg mechanic come and look at it and he told me that i need to replace one of the bearing on one side of the water roller. just another thing to maybe cross off. k

The bottles are gravity feed sys. If air can get in the bottle then water comes out. If the caps are new then they are not sitting deep enough in the tray. Bent guard that the bottle sets on( is too high), bottle is warped, tray is warped or press isn't level! Also if you look at the shaft that the tray sets on under the damp unit it has a collar on it, if the collar is not tere the tray will be too low! If you turn the control knob to 5 or 6, that is running really wet and if stripes are week you will spit water. There are 4 roller settings for the damp unit. Ferform all settings with form to plate. 1) Set knob on 6 and adj a 2mm stripe meter to pan rollers using the grub screws on top. 2) set a 3mm stripe form to pan roller using dark orange/ red screws in top of damp unit. 3) damp dist(blue rlr) to form 2-2.5mm using blue screws 4) set form to plate 3.5mm using screws at end of form shaft (note form to plate is CW decreases & CCW increases)
If you would like to talk about anymore about this just give me a call!
Stan, Intermountain Press Service,llc. 720-285-9485 ipsqm46.com
PS: I have numerous new and used parts for the QM46-1/2

Hi Jotter,

Just an FYI....we run our water setting in both units on 1. The highest I ever remember going is 1 1/2. If you're higher than that on a regular basis you either have a bearing gone, bad adjustments or VERY bad rollers. Read the manual well. The adjustments are very simple. You can check for bad bearings when you have the entire water system out of the press. We just had to replace one set a couple of months ago.

Dave

QM 46 Leaking

QM 46 Leaking

In our case it was the tray itself having too much slop
I added tape to the front so it would not tip down and the problem was fixed -
tried everything else caps, setting etc.

In our case it was the tray itself having too much slop
I added tape to the front so it would not tip down and the problem was fixed -
tried everything else caps, setting etc.

Just a note to add. If there is ink buildup on the end of the dampeners, especially the pan roller, it will sling water all over the place. Guess how i know...

B

Realy sounds like the dampner system needs to come out and rollers need adjusted and cleaned. Ink gets all over inside. 5/6 is alot of water and would expect it to sling water everywhere. 1 for metal plates 2-3 for poly.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back