PrintSmith estimating software

ginfay

Does anyone use PrintSmith estimating software? Can someone give me a ballpark of how much does this software cost?

Before even considering Printsmith...

Before even considering Printsmith...

Before even considering PrintSmith, evaluate Printer's Plan from SoftUse. Print Estimating and Management Software for Printers - Printer's Plan Much more powerful, no dongle, one year money back guarantee..I could go on and on.

I know a lot of PrintSmith users. A number of them have switched to Printer's Plan and are extremely happy.

Also compare the prices between the two for support contracts.

S.

Printsmith

Printsmith

$6 - $10K.
It has gone up a lot in past 3 years.
It's quite robust, but the code is getting a bit stale.
No wide format capablities.

It has been a year since I last used printsmith but I wasn't a fan at all. For the price range Ian is suggesting I would run for the hills!

I beg you, do the research and compare the alternatives.

$6-10k is definitely more than what I'd like to spend. It would be hard to switch from my current service to PrintSmith for that price. I'm also assuming that there's some kind of yearly maintenance that I would have to purchase.

ahrgg? Printsmith!

ahrgg? Printsmith!

I'm pretty down on Printsmith myself. I've been using it for 5 years and we need to add one more computer user. Printsmith charges $500 to add one computer user and they offer a great deal at $999 for three--thanks for the generosity. At that price level you'd think that support would be immediate when you call, but it isn't; when you call you have to leave a message on a machine and if they deem it important you will get a call within 3 hours--if they don't it's a next day call.

And as stated they're large format module stinks, yes they have one, and I have not gotten it to work! I would like to call tech support but I have lost confidence they would be able to help. They were not able to help me with my last problem; one of work stations, when the pricing is updated the workstation will not launch Printsmith. There is a work around but it's getting old to copy files from one workstation to the other.

I'm seriously looking to stop use of it and change to another system.

Happy with Printsmith

Happy with Printsmith

We've been using Printsmith since September of 2006 and we're very happy with it. It's very flexible and powerful, especially if you're interested in using it to track costing as well as generate pricing. There's so much that it can do that we haven't even scratched the surface yet.

The service is friendly and helpful and they're very responsive to customer suggestions. It's really not a big deal that you call and leave a message and they get back to you. If you're totally dead in the water, they have a mechanism to escalate your call.

A REAL bonus for us is the fact that the master and the workstations work on either MacOSX or Windows (including Vista). We recently switched to an Apple X Serve for the backbone of our network and the transition of the master from Windows to Mac was simple and flawless.

The cost is about right, from our perspective. We tried several cheaper alternatives and found them just too simplistic for our needs. You get what you pay for.

One note though: it's a very powerful program which is only as good as the data you put into it. Take the time to set it up right and you'll reap the rewards. I tried to part-time it while doing my other duties in the shop and found I eventually had to sequester myself for a couple of weeks to get the system set-up the way we wanted.

Sequestration

Sequestration

Well, basically you have to enter all the information regarding your base hourly rates, your set-up, wash-up, and run rates, your costing, your charges (price and costing) for things like preflight, plates, inks, bindery operations (cutting, folding, scoring, collating, stitching, for example), shipping and delivery charges...

I ended up taking myself out of production to do it because I just couldn't make any headway. Once I did, the actual data entry part took about a week, then another week for testing and tweaking the reports we would use on a daily basis (dockets, invoices, delivery slips, paper orders, work-in-progress reports, etc.). Then about a week for training the CSR's to use it.

EFI has a demo you can download if you want to get a look at the guts of the system. I highly recommend you do this. It's part of what sold us on it.

When I set up PrintSmith , it took about 35 man hours. I used the set up guide and followed it exactly. It made things a lot easier. I've noticed that there were some unhappy words about the tech service. I have found them to be quite good and very responsive. As someone said above, "You get what you pay for". PrintSmith has become an asset to my business and gives me the tools to make good sound decisions. Money well spent even in this economy.

Something I'm not finding with either Printsmith or Printers Plan is the outside services features doesn't exist. There should be a ticket or work order, with specs, you can print that can be sent to the vendor providing the service. Another problem with both is you really don't capture true costs from what I see. It appears you have to have a secondary program like Quickbooks to handle vendor costing or all costing for that matter. Unless I'm missing something both programs are half good! My prior company used Kramer-Smilko which integrates a/p and a/r but it's really used for larger multiuser companies. Anyone out have any suggestions? We're looking at new software asap.

Last edited:
I have PrintSmith and love it! Remember a companies goal is to grow... while PrintSmith may cost more in the beginning it will be learned and mastered by you and your current staff. As you grow you may decide to purchase other EFI modules that will tie into your MIS system such as EFI Fiery RIP's, Digital Store Front and X-Flow to generate an entire seamless work-flow solution. You may also grow so fast that you need to upgrade your MIS to EFI's Pace some day and you and your entire crew will not have to re-learn an entire new system. That alone is worth it's weight in gold!

I do not work for EFI. I just am a Operations Manager the believes the more detailed and upfront you PLAN / ESTIMATE the work the better off you will be to make money. I also like the fact that EFI sells you small pieces and there software is very expandable by purchasing "add on modules" to fit your specific needs and / or budget.

Don't let the price scare you... Flexibility and Familiarity is worth a lot and will save you more in the long run!

As far as the A/R part of it. I am glad that it ties into Quickbooks. Who wants your MIS system to handle checks etc.? Printsmith should be used for printing duties while Quickbooks is used for accounting duties. I do not see a problem with that?

Last edited:
outside services / costing

outside services / costing

Something I'm not finding with either Printsmith or Printers Plan is the outside services features doesn't exist. There should be a ticket or work order, with specs, you can print that can be sent to the vendor providing the service. Another problem with both is you really don't capture true costs from what I see. It appears you have to have a secondary program like Quickbooks to handle vendor costing or all costing for that matter. Unless I'm missing something both programs are half good! My prior company used Kramer-Smilko which integrates a/p and a/r but it's really used for larger multiuser companies. Anyone out have any suggestions? We're looking at new software asap.

Kirkreal, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. I selected our current software because it has the capability to handle outside services since we do a significant amount of outside work. It was the only one I found on our end of the cost spectrum and it does a decent job in this area. However, as you mentioned, there is no costing info available on a macro level. For example, I would like to know total $ estimated for art for the month of January, or total folding $, etc. I would like to treat each area of the business as a mini profit center.
Estimating is one part of the loop. Comparison of actual costs versus estimated, on both a micro and macro level, is necessary to continually evaluate estimated costs, and determine which areas are meeting profit goals. My software does a poor job in this area.

PrintSmith

PrintSmith

We have been using PrintSmith for many years and are happy with the program:
1. job scheduling module
2. job tracking module for people in the plant to put in their own work times in a computer in their dept. for each job
3. compares job cost versus job estimated
4. interfaces nicely with our accounting software Peachtree (most of the other estimating programs wanted us to use their accounting but we are very happy with Peachtree)
5. works on mac or pc
6. support has improved under EFI
7. very flexible when it comes to customizing
8. fulfillment tracked in PrintSmith
9. its easy to use
10. We hired PrintSmith to install and train - well worth it to have it done right.
We have had some trouble with ganging jobs for estimates.

We also have report writer and PrintSmith will write custom reports for us. I would think that would include a report for outside services or estimated art for the month. It's worth it to check it out.

Overall I recommend PrintSmith.

Yearly Service Contract Available for PrintSmith

Yearly Service Contract Available for PrintSmith

As an Independendent PrintSmith Consultant I am now offering unlimited service for $550.00 per year.

What you get --
An exclusive phone number available 24/7 but manned during normal business hours and weekends.

What you don't get---
Upgrades

Call for more info..

David Ashkenaz
Independent PrintSmith Consultant
954-977-7811

You can try Printlogic It's fully cloud based MIS software and it's only $115 per month for unlimited users. Contact me for more info, demo or free trial.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back