Problem with PSDs?

rande

I'm having a problem with I think PSD files.
I have a job loaded with them. The files take forever to rip and
in the end I'm getting white back grounds on some; not all. I see no problem with the images.
At first I thought maybe it was the sizeand the rip was choking on it or the version but I've rule those out.
I think its the PSD files. Without drawning this out with a lot of questions has anyone ran into this?
It was made in CS3. I tried everything with that.
Then I tried taking into CS4 which took the size from 1.6 gb down to 400mb.
I got PDF from the client and that didn't help.
It's a two page doc. I've mainly been experimenting with the first page because what ever I try takes along time, but the second page seems fine.
My next try this morning is place the PDF in Indd and make another PDF. I've had problems with trapping
before and running it thru Indd seems to flatten and it runs thru fine.
TF 4

any thoughts?

What rip are you using? My Rampage workflow will cause a white box if it's set to "Ignore Application Overprint".

Erik

Sounds like a transparency issue. We are using an older version of Prinergy Connect and have run into similar issues. Usually it is the "Multiply Filter" that is being applied to make the background of the placed art transparent in InDesign. I will take the PSD's back into Photoshop create a clipping path and re-save them as eps files. Bring them back into the document with all "Effects" set to "Normal". We have had other issues with PSD files in our workflow were creating an eps file and dropping it back in solves the problem.

Marc

Last edited:
I thought of eps files too. Can't do it on this; need to see thru some areas.
I ended up not trapping and it looks fine; luckily theres enought shared colors; so its not a file problem.
We're getting some patches done in True flow other than that I've tried most everything.

It sounds like everything's worked out for you now but I'm still curious. Had you tried overprint loading during import? I had a tricky flatting issue this morning, and pushing the client supplied PDF through ID with the Trueflow PDF/X-1a preset fixed everything up nicely.

I was able to get thru this job because of shared color, I didn't really need to trap it.
I've tried everything I can to flatten this. It taking so long to go thru the rip.
Is there any other ways to flatten these to take the file size down in Acro 9?
I've tried PS to distiller (this actually worked) ; x-1a, I've never had optimize work on any problem with acro 7. I can't seem to speed it up.

Quite a few issues regarding trapping with transparencies (and the time it takes to do so) were recently addressed in some updates. It seems like they were only released for TF5.01 and 6 though. Did the PDF/X-1a file import and trap properly? You could always apply some JPEG compression at that stage as well- if feasible...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back