Problems with 3Gb Switch

zcto7

I am using Navigator Rip 8.1, with the Rip manager. My system has 4Gb of RAM and is running Server 2008. I have increased the IncreaseUserVA to 3Gb, however the Rip still does not see the extra allocated RAM. Do I need to do something else? Also once the Rip uses 2Gb in the task manager, it crashes and fails the job.

Warning: Memory available for RIP exceeds the 2047 MB process address space limit. Not all available RAM can be used. Memory available for RIP reduced to fit.

Total Memory Available: 4188772 kB
Memory Left For System - Requested: 256000 kB, Actual: 256000 kB
Network Buffer - Requested: 64 kB, Actual: 64 kB
Printer Buffer - Requested: 80000 kB, Actual: 80000 kB
Memory available for RIP: 1832704 kB

used to increase to 3Gb:
bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

inputing BCDEdit into the cmd verifies that it is 3072.

Any Ideas????

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 3.35.25 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 3.35.25 PM.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 204
Harlequin based rips are limited by design to 2GB of RAM. Editing the boot configuration of Windows only increases the available memory for the operating system, not the rip. Note the warning message at the top of the rip log regarding available memory.

If you've set the available memory to greater than 1832704 kB in the rip configuration, set it back to that number.

I think you need to configure the boot file, and this is not something which need some rocket science or something like that, google it and you can find the solution.

Printed Labels

You need a 64 bit processor, 64 bit OS and a 64 bit application to use the extra memory.

True, but it's not the case here. We don't know what 2008 server flavor AdamZx3 has I assume it's 32 bit, I also have no knowledge of Nav. 8.1 ever been released as native 64 bit perhaps Xitron can clarify this, but there's a clear documented procedure to follow even in 32 bit environments. It requires minor changes in the rip configuration file too.
AdamZx3 must have sorted out his problem already with Xitron's help, though. Thread is almost 3 weeks old.

2008 and 32bit vs. 64bit

2008 and 32bit vs. 64bit

We just installed 8.1 also and tried it on Server 2008, got everything working okay except plates would fail during imaging, everything keeps running like all is well but percentage done stops counting up on platesetter and no error messages at rip either, clock just keeps counting up but status bar stops moving. Might happen on first plate or 8th one, every other one or 2-3 in a row.

Xitron said 2008 should be ok as long as 32bit, so we tried it and had this problem, they worked on it some for us but no solution yet, we loaded it onto our old 2003 disk and no problems. They don't list 2008 in their list of approved OS's, they recommended Windows 7.

For what its worth.

Wow this thread came to life :)

I ended up fixing this a few weeks ago by following this from the Xitron docs:

If the RIP has been started prior to adding the /3GB switch, the size of the available address space
stored in SW/Config/ConfigureRIP will be incorrect. To reset the RIP’s memory size after adding the
/3GB switch, you should change the /MaxAddressSpaceSize value to 0; the RIP will then determine the
new size automatically.

Apparently even though I edited the switch before booting it still needs to be done. Now it rips jobs like a champ.

Yes, it is the 32-bit version of Server 2008. It also is supported in of 8.1:

" Windows Server 2008 32-bit
This platform is supported from the Navigator RIP v8.0r8, or later, as long as version 7.5 of the Safenet
drivers (dongle drivers) are used.
"

@Prepper , That's really weird that you where having those issues... we are having issues with random plate images splitting in half leaving a big gap in the middel. If we re-release the same separation it images ok. Happens about twice a week. Now i'm wondering if it's related...hmmm

Also for those not aware, as of Vista/Server2008 they no longer use the boot.ini switch. They now use something called UserVA, though I don't know too much about it, just what I scraped off google.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back