Proper packing in Speedmaster 52

Manprint

Hi i was wondering what is the proper settings of Heidlberg Speedmaster 52x72 -circa 1977/79- concerning plate/blanket.
Label on machine mention plate+packing 0,5mm and blanket+packing 3,2mm but since the machine has it's share of impressions how much over those specs can you go? When i tried to go a bit over -a lot i might add 3,5mm in blanket- packing tended to fold and move towards the grippers. I assume that happens because of overpressure or faulty install of packing?

Another thing, is it possible to switch from conventional damping to semi-alcolor using water ductor with cloth sleeve and only one water form roller rubber instead of 2 form with sleeve without use of IPA alcohol?

I know a lot of these questions could be easily answered by reading the manual -Read The F Manual as i say- unfortunately its in German though if English version could be provided...wink wink nudge nudge

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Hi i was wondering what is the proper settings of Heidlberg Speedmaster 52x72 -circa 1977/79- concerning plate/blanket.
Label on machine mention plate+packing 0,5mm and blanket+packing 3,2mm but since the machine has it's share of impressions how much over those specs can you go? When i tried to go a bit over -a lot i might add 3,5mm in blanket- packing tended to fold and move towards the grippers. I assume that happens because of overpressure or faulty install of packing?

Another thing, is it possible to switch from conventional damping to semi-alcolor using water ductor with cloth sleeve and only one water form roller rubber instead of 2 form with sleeve without use of IPA alcohol?

I know a lot of these questions could be easily answered by reading the manual -Read The F Manual as i say- unfortunately its in German though if English version could be provided...wink wink nudge nudge

Sir, I think that you are talking about a GTO press and not a Speedmaster 52. The Speedmaster 52 was produced in the 1990's. The Speedmaster 52 It would have already had an Alcolor system and not cloth dampening.

He is talking about SM 72 year 1977.
Why do you want to over pack the blankets? Are you not getting proper print when packed according to specs.

Blanket should be below bearer about 0.05 mm and plates should be above bearer about 0.05-0.10 mm.

You can change your dampening to bareback system, but you need a softer form roller and add alcohol and fountain solution in water. Do you have water re-circulator on press?

Apparently problem was in the packing of plate and blanket -overpressure made packing creep towards grippers-.
Previous pressman used 0,20mm plastic but when i put an extra 0,15 manilla paper and printing was ok. Is there a pincer bar when installing packing of blankets in Heidelberg machines like MAN Roland or they fold into blanket cylinder under some kind of "hooks"?
Tomorow mechanic will come to check up on this issue, as for re-circulator is nonexistant.

The extra packing was for plate not blanket, as for blanket packing creeping to grippers it was partly my fault since i had to bent them only 20mm and insert them under hooks -i did 50mm bent :S- and used 6 sheets instead of 4, by the way aqazi manual states plate 0,5 -0,30 plate + 0,20mm packing- but below bearer 0,05 and blanket the opposite -1,90 blanket+1,30 packing=3,20- over bearer 0,05

See the attached pictures of the manual. IMG_20150404_073113_789.jpgIMG_20150404_073024_142.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back