PSD or TIF with Spot Channel not recognized in InDesign CS4?

Gregg

I have a CMYK Photoshop file with a Spot Channel. I've saved it as a TIF (with Spot Colors checked), and I've saved it as a PSD (with Spot Colors checked). When I import the TIF, in InDesign CS4, the spot channel elements are missing. Why I try to place the PSD I get an "Internal Error".

I can place both of these files in InDesign CS6 without problems, and in both cases the spot channel is intact. The only way I can get it to work in CS4 is by saving as a DCS file.

Am I missing something here, or did CS4 never allow spot channels with TIFs or PSDs.

Worth noting, I need the file to be in CS4, for foreign publishers.

Thanks in advance.

Using CS4, I am able to import a CMYK+Spot PSD into InDesign and it works properly.

I would try a new PSD and a new ID document - just throw something together to test it out. If it works, then there is something wrong with your original PSD file.

I did try with a new PS and ID file, same results. The "Internal Error" is something I had never seen before. Perhaps my ID prefs are bunk. I'll keep playing, but at least now I know it is possible in CS4.

Thanks.

CS4 did allow spot channels. Have you tried turning overprint preview on? Do the spot channels show up in your pallet?

Finally resolved this issue. Seems it has to do with the Color Libraries. The Photoshop file was created in CS6 and placed in InDesign CS4. Originally the Spot color was spec'd from the Pantone + color library (which I have in both CS4 and CS6). I then spec'd the color from the Pantone library, within PS CS6, and still had the same issue. I then opened the Photoshop file in PS CS4 and did a simple Save As - making no changes. That worked. No idea why, but the job is now on it's way out the door!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back