Pushout (creep) and crossover images?

macdudeken

Hello, can anyone tell me if I'm missing something here....

I have a 64 page book printing on 80# stock, saddle stiched, setup in readers spreads, with crossover images, and folio numbers 3/16" away from the edges.

My question is this- it won't be possible to allow for pushout (creep) on a page by page basis due to the crossover images, correct?

Thanks, MDK

Re: Pushout (creep) and crossover images?

That's correct. If they are too close to the trim in the middle of the book either move the txt in further or reduce the size of the pages when you impose.

Yeah, This usually results in manually moving the page numbers in based on which sheet a page falls on --
and of course having no auto-shingle.

A 64 page saddle-stitched book on 80# paper is pushing the limits. Have you checked with the bindery to be sure they can/will do it? Have you looked at perfect bound, notch bound or lighter paper?

Crossovers cannot be preserved in this scenario. There'll be a slice of image missing down the middle. Crossovers are a scourge from hell and should be banned. Right here and now I move for a consitutional amendment outlawing crossovers and pages without page numbers! Who's with me!?!?

rich

Edited for emotional impact by: Rich Apollo on Jun 4, 2008 11:33 AM

Hey Rich,

I second that. Crossovers and pages without page numbers can be a real tester. By the way, what is "notch bound"?

Erik

A lot like perfect bound, but the spines of the sigs are perfed, or notched. I've seen it a lot with stuff that has a soft cover. Someone with a bindery background would have to explain why.

rich

I had another fun one not involving folios, but a 1 point vertical rule that ran 1/8 in from the outside page edge and the client was adamant that they line up after folding and stitching.....

The only way to actually creep a job that has crossovers is to scale the 2 page spread horizontally the amount of the creep.
Then place the pages into your impose file by placing the page from the center of the 2 page spread (not the left or right trims, but the fold line).
That way you actually keep the page numbers pushed in and at the same time you keep the crossovers lined up at the folds.

Does that make sense?

We do it all the time and believe it or not, we never use mechanical creep anymore.
We actually have an excel file we made to do the calculations for us. All we do is type in the outer leaf spread dimension and the inner most leaf spread dimension, how many leafs you have, and your it tells you the scale percent of each spread. (Of course, we have to have a paper dummy made to do this, but you really should have one if your trying to figure creep correctly.)

HTH,
David

We are printing our first booklet and magazines this year with crossovers and the first one they designed was as single pages in Indesign, it was only 20 pages and worked out really well, on 100# text. This is saddlestitched.

The next one is going to be more like 24-32pgs. My question is, should this be laid out in Indesign as single pages or spreads? At what point will I have to worry about creep in order for spreads to match up on 100# text, or how many pages?

Thanks,
Terry

Could you share that Excel spread sheet with us?

Thanks

Edited by: Assinippi on Jun 12, 2008 4:06 PM

Sure, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

David

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back