Quark 8, 7, 6, etc.

RickWhiteman

We've just gotten our copies of Quark 8. <shudder>

Any opinions on whether or not we need to keep opening Q6 files in 6, Q7 files in 7, and Q8 files in 8? I'd much rather just run with 8 on everything. Has anyone noticed any font issues or anything like that? We use Rampage and get a mix of both mac and pc files.

Thanks!

-- Rick

It depends on what you want to do with the files you receive.

If you are in prepress of a printer: always open the files with the same version of Quark as it was originally created. Otherwise you will run into issues like text reflow and possibly different output of some elements.
You can "thank" Quark that they even changed their hyphenation in Quark XPress 6.1 and than changed it back in 6.2/6.52. You can get a different text flow in Quark 6.1 from 6.0 or 6.52 documents and vice-versa.
You get the picture; always open in the same version as the document arrived in, if you want to preserve the original text flow.

If you don't need to match the exact same text flow etc. as the original files had, you can always open in the latest version of Quark XPress.

Color definitions also change from version to version. I don't have QX8 yet (none of my customers have upgraded yet) but I do know that the definition of PMS Red 032 is different in QX7.x than it is in QX6.x. I agree with toronar, keep it native. Open 6 with 6, 7 with 7 or you'll have issues.

It depends on what you want to do with the files you receive.

If you are in prepress of a printer: always open the files with the same version of Quark as it was originally created. Otherwise you will run into issues like text reflow and possibly different output of some elements.

another consideration is that of your clients. If they request final working files and you've opened their 6.5 files in 8.0, they won't be able to open them on their end unless they upgrade to 8.0 or unless you save them back as 6.5.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back