Question on UV Printing

RGPW17100

We have to print a job for our customer that requires us to print 877 on 12000 sheets two sided sheetwise. They are requesting a dry trap of this color which has some solids and a lot of screen gradients. We then have to print 4 color process on top of this to create the effect they are looking for. They specifically requested this not be run in line. We are using an SM52 5 color with a coater. In order to make this look good we will have to depowder on the SM52 as well. My question can a UV press be set to print this 877 on the first unit and cure the ink so that you can run process on top of it all in one pass? We have to run this sheet through at least 5 times maybe 6 depending on the spray powder.

Yes, you can do this on one pass with a UV press. You can do it in one pass on a conventional press as well, but it doesn't look as good as a dry trap and it sounds like your customer knows this.

As Colornumber9 mentioned, you can perform this all inline on a UV press. However, you need to make absolutely sure that the UV silver you are using has the sheen you are looking for. Some UV silvers look more like gray then metallic silver. I would recommend you consult your ink manufacturer.

Sounds like they are trying some form of Metal FX type of printing. Go UV with this for sure or you wont be getting much sleep, make sure your process ink set is transparent enough to allow the silver effect to come through.

We did a test run on friday. We ran the silver and then did the imprint later in the day and sent the proofs to New York. Our customer is sending it to their customer and will get back to us in a couple of days. I agree that sending this out for UV is the correct way unfortunately higher ups at work aren't going to let that happen. We are slow enough at work where we can do this even though there is a risk of failure. My press operator ran the job as an overprint and also inline. Big difference between the two. I wish I could show the effect of this job because it is a really awesome looking piece. We face all kinds of possible problems but because of the economy we will be doing this unless they freak out at the new price. Job is almost double in cost because of the extra pass. I recommended that the CSR try and get a UV printer to do this but I doubt anything will become of it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back