Questions About the HP Indigo 12000

Blair Gamble

Hi Everyone,
I am currently using 2x Fujifilm iGen5's, but with Xerox America no longer servicing the Southern Hemisphere ( I am in New Zealand) I am looking to upgrade to a B2 digital format, but i have a couple of questions about the HP Indigo 12000.

1) With a few inkjet platforms I have looked at I will be limited to a selection of pre-set sheet sizes, is this the same with the indigo or can I define the sheet size say 550x400 for example, for context why this is important, I do alot of overprinting onto pre printed shells, into a blank area not on top of offset ink.

2) Also do the modern day Indigo presses still require that the sheets be pre coated, for full prints on virgin stock and for small areas of overprinting that will mostly be text and company logos.

Just wanted to do a bit of research before i subject myself to sitting through the sales spiel. Thanks All !!

2) Also do the modern day Indigo presses still require that the sheets be pre coated, for full prints on virgin stock and for small areas of overprinting that will mostly be text and company logos.
I don't have any knowledge of the HP Indigo but recently the subject of HP Indigo Certified paper was brought up by my Xerox technician. The belief was that the issue that I was having with my Versant was caused by the coating that HP Indigo papers use. My research led me to the fact that the majority of HP Certified papers have no special coating. These HP Indigo Certified papers go through extensive testing at one of two different labs depending on what part of the world your paper is sourced from.

Yes, some papers do have a special coating but there are thousands of papers that have no special coating but have gone through the certification process for use on the Indigo.

I think the number of substrates certified for the Indigo was over 3,500. I'm sure you can check to see if your current stock has been certified for the Indigo.

I am looking at an HP Indigo. Can you tell me where I can find what stocks are certified?
When we bought our Konica's, they provide a catalog of certifies stocks. I've heard Xerox does this, so I'm sure HP can provide the same thing if you talk to them. Additionally, we order our stock from Kelly-Spicers Paper. Their online catalog and printed catalog list next to each stock if it's HP Indigo Certified. See screen shot below. I'm sure if you check with you paper supplier, they can provide this info for you:

1691789101545.png

I currently run an Indigo 12000 and have been for about 6 years. GPA is my favorite substrate to use by far. Runs through the paper path fantastically and ink fixing is top notch. With that being said, I run a TON of other brands of paper. More often than not, they run just fine. Grain direction is critical in my opinion for getting it through the paper path smoothly. RIT in Rochester has an extensive list of substrate and they test and grade each sheet. I'll attach the link below. As far as sheet size we tend to run the max sheet, in the US it's about 29.5x20.75". The main reason we try to stay in the max size is obviously utilizing the most of the sheet, but also keeping our blankets from retaining the image memory of those smaller sheets. It's not a problem to do it, but you may end up changing blankets a little more often. Highly recommend the Indigo, I love mine.

One of my current operators that ran an older indigo stated that sheets tend to scuff frequently in finishing and required an offline coating. I am wondering if you have any experience with this @Matt Revard. I am looking at moving my quarter size offset & toner shop to B2 and looking into this as a potential hurdle.

One of my current operators that ran an older indigo stated that sheets tend to scuff frequently in finishing and required an offline coating. I am wondering if you have any experience with this @Matt Revard. I am looking at moving my quarter size offset & toner shop to B2 and looking into this as a potential hurdle
In my experience, Indigo inks tend to be a little scuff prone. With that being said, your substrate is everything as well as your substrate profiles. You can adjust blanket temperature, pressure etc. if you're having issues with "fixing" or adhesion to the sheet. We've had good luck with Tango for postcards and GPA is always lights out. If you choose to use the primer option that can help as well, but the primer is not a consumable that's covered under your contract. It's a few hundred dollars for a box and will utilize one of your ink stations. We run variable postcards daily and we've never had a customer complain about end user product. One last note is although the "ink" is dry instantly there is some residual oil left on the sheet after printing. If you give it a little time to set up that can help also.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back