Quickmaster46DI

printcrazzee

We are thinking of getting a secondhand QM DI is there any info anyone could give us......is plate material expensive......are parts expensive......we are a bit concerned about the purchase as heidelberg don't seem to produce them anymore....are they lemons??? Any info would be appreciated .
Carl.

Re: Quickmaster46DI

The cost of ownership, supplies and maintenance is higher than a conventional press. They are out of production which lowers resale value as well as parts and service support becomes more difficult as time goes by. Plate imaging and make ready times are slower than the new CIP3 compatible presses and the plate material comes from one source unless you can get the VIM plate material out of Israel.

I would run away from any DI waterless copier. There are too many toner and ink jet machines out there to choose from and these are the machines the DI are competing with. Heidelberg got away from DI press production for a reason. Think about it..LOL

Hi,

The Heidelberg QM DI 46 is now very good value for money. I would go for either a Plus or a Pro version.
They where an expensive machine to buy when they where new but now the machine and consumable cost has reduced considerably. There arn't many 4 colour machines in the world which have such a small footprint, which makes it ideal for a small printshop.
You will always get many negative comments about certain machines and the QM DI 46 has had its fair share but on the other hand the QM DI 46 has made many print shop owners very wealthy and has paid for many further printshop upgrades (the proof is in one particular Sydney printshop).
I do generally recommend though that users of this type of press do take out an insurance which will guard against electrical / mechanical brakedown as there are some very costly electrical parts on the machine.
The plate material is manufactured in the US by Presstek, it is now very good value for money and costs in the UK approx £600 per box of 4 rolles with 36 plates per roll. I would steer clear of the VIM material.
The machines are not "Lemons"...........far from it, Heidelberg stopped production to concentrate on different parts of their business.
Hope this information helps.

Regards.

Edited by: mrheidelberg on Jun 15, 2008 7:27 AM

Offset Guy.........what the??? copiers???? they are not copiers they are print machines!! If i wanted a copier I would go & buy a Xerox(and use it as a boat anchor!!) You obviously don't have a clue what your talking about....maybe call yourself "Copier Guy"!!!!

Not sure how it is now, but when we had the DI, the plate costs alone priced itself out of the market. Couldn't compete with the lower costs and faster turnaround of digital machines.

That was several years ago, can't imagine it's better now.

Is presstek still the only supplier of the plates?

it all depends on your work load and job mix. I liked our di. we paid $75,000 for ours. the price of a 2 color gto a couple years ago. its about $45 per job to run a process job for the plates. but no chemicals or prepress labor. but you have 20 minutes of labor/press time to image. we now prefer to image plate off line and use a press with autoplate. we feel we get more out of our conventional press. run your numbers a good conventional is an expensive press to purchase, but can run the socks off a di. the di is cheap upfront and easy to get started in 4 color. there is no perfect solution only a best fit.

rob

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back