Rampage boxes overheating...

sadonovan1

Hello all.
Got a few questions on our Rampage boxes overheating.

In the pre-press dept. we have 4 Macs, 2 PCs, 2 HPs, and the associated monitors. (8100, and 8550). The room itself is approx 20' x 20'. So its on the small side, and not alot of air movement or ventilation.
We also have 2 of the 3 RamPage boxes in there as well (The shooter is in another room).

The owner of the company wants to save $$, by turing off the AC in the front offices, including the pre-press dept.
And it now gets very warm in there.
Currently its 84 in here, and the fans on the 2 Rampage boxes are running on hi constantly.
Ive been telling him he needs to turn the AC on, to keep them cool, so they wont die on him/us.

Has anyone had their rampage boxes die on them from overheating?
If so, how bad was the outcome?
Did you loose any/all of the info on the HDs?
Any damage to the components themselves?

Im kinda looking for information to go to the owner and say "Look, heres whats gonna happen, and what it will cost you, if we dont keep them cool!".

Thanks for any input.
Scott

Hey Scott, yes that is a bit too hot. Granted they should be able to handle a bit more than that, but it also depends on your airflow. Is it real stuffy in the room also. It never ceases to amaze me that someone tries to save a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars/year to have all of those wonderful savings be gone in several days of prepress being down because of pure ignorance. This does not take into account the loss of productivity dues to poor environmental conditions. He needs a swift kick in the rear, that's it, oh yeah then go turn the thermostat to about 72-75 and slap the first one who touches it.

I made bossman buy me a portable A/C unit of my room. That way house A/C can be turned off and it doesn't effect my boxes.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back