Reasons to not edit images in Acrobat?

This. Make sure your open files and PDF's share the same content, if possible. . . . I think it's not the printers reponsability to make pdf's from the clients or designers files.
Oh. I had thought the OP had the original InDesign files, given by the original designer. Sorry.
Personally I prefer to make my own PDF's for press. I get clients who send a low quality PDF's or a single page PDF that can be a huge number of Mb's. Or PDF's with printers marks. I guess they think that makes them look like a pro. Any changes made by me will always be sent back to the customer to proof. Most times it's just less hassle and quicker to make small adjustments myself. But I'm not talking about dropping in new images either. If it's a customer file they would be expected to do that sort of thing, unless they specifically request I do it. I'm talking about sending a proper PDF to press. For that I trust my PDF's more than my customer's.

Yea I have to say that if your sending your Packaged files to a printer, she really should not be doing this. I agree she has good intentions however she is throwing a possible monkey wrench into the process for possible edits after you submit to your printer. Gregbatch nailed it on the head. This is most likely something that hasn't been communicated to her, and needs to. It's not her fault if she hasn't been explained the process and how this could potentially cause problem. I can appreciate the effort though.

This. Make sure your open files and PDF's share the same content, if possible. Also: never provide printers open files (like InDesign packages). Send PDF/X files, that are checked and verified to GWG standards. I think it's not the printers reponsability to make pdf's from the clients or designers files.
It's only in the past few years that customer supplied PDFs have been the standard, before that it was standard practice for the customer/designer to provide Quark Xpress/Indesign/Pagemaker files together with all supporting files and fonts. In some workflows, it was not possible to produce a job from anything other that the original source files. For example, colourised tiffs, clipping paths and spot to spot blends from Quark Xpress all had to be handled in very specific ways to achieve expected results from the Scitex Brisque workflow.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back