Recommend Hardware for RIP - Caldera vs Onyx

k_graham

We ordered a HP 260 Latex and a separate cutter.

Caldera appears to be a 64 bit RIP so looks like it should use all RAM for system, however what is recommended vs minimum configuration on their site?

Does one use the RIP for viewing files or use their workstation and remote in?

If using RIP what for previewing what graphics cards work best using linux?

RAM - 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 GB regular or Error Correcting at what point are there diminishing returns?

Hard Drive - I asume perhaps a regular drive for capacity but should one have SSD's for spooling or simply more RAM or RAM plus SSD plus hard drive?

Xeon or I7 or I7 Haswell with embedded video - or AMD?

1 or 2 network Gigabit connections to RIP - seems like 2 would be logical, 1 for to RIP and 1 for output?

Thanks,

Ken

If you want to use caldera, my best advice is go for Apple Mac with Latest Mac Operating system. Because Debian(linux) some times it will crash the file system.

I'm about to add a latex printer as well and will need a RIP. HP says that most folks go with PosterShop but wonder what others are using and what their experiences are like? Anyone willing to share? Is Caldera better? I used to have an Epson GS6000 which came with the ColorBurst RIP. Despite my initial concerns, we learned to love it! Any thoughts on what I should do from here?

I'm about to add a latex printer as well and will need a RIP. HP says that most folks go with PosterShop but wonder what others are using and what their experiences are like? Anyone willing to share? Is Caldera better? I used to have an Epson GS6000 which came with the ColorBurst RIP. Despite my initial concerns, we learned to love it! Any thoughts on what I should do from here?

I did some searches on Printplanet and signs101 for "Onyx Caldera" . I came across people switching from Onyx to Caldera, though Onyx now has a Adobe APPE RIP as well as Caldera, but none going from Caldera to Onyx. To trial both appears to require a much more potent system for Onyx.

Regards Caldera and Debian versus Mac, the Mac does have Color profiling for the Monitor where as with Debian I know of know monitor profiling - the option being to set the monitor settings with a PC or Mac then use it on the Debian machine, we must already do this on our Xerox with Solaris FreeFlow.

I've used Linux on a server without crashes, I think that boils down to using good hardware like ECC memory which seems to require a server mother board and then a server CPU like a Xeon which happens to be what's on our file server. Researching that I came across Xeon E3-1275 CPU which includes onboard Video and appears fast enough to also trial on a Onyx. I do unfortunately need to figure a good motherboard for the system that is compatible with Debian, with that I think I could have twice the system for 1/2 the $$$ of a Mac.

Consequently I hope to build a system capable of both trials, if I run into troubles with Debian I could repurpose the computer as a Windows Graphics workstation which would also benefit from the reliability of good components. Then if Caldera is found to be preferred by me, but if I run into crashes with Debian, purchase the Mac

Ken

I am evaluating caldera right now on linux.. so far so it's OK, but I am not convinced.
I have read that people love Caldera's support - I for one have mixed feelings. Some questions get answered clearly, some not.
I am trying to run an ecosolvent printer along with an aqueous Canon.
I am right now unable to profile my 12 colour canon and was told to try it in RGB mode, and that most customers don't run their Canon's in 12colour mode as it's "too slow". Pretty surprising and non-sensical comment from their tech support - I'm just left shaking my head...

In terms of hardware, you don't need all that much, they don't really recommend anything past an i5 with 4gb ram. It's up to you if you want more. You will get an idea once you start ripping large files on whatever system you choose and make up your mind if you made the right choice :) My debian system hasn't crashed yet (been a couple weeks), been doing a small number of jobs and mostly profiling media.

As of today I am leaning back towards Onyx although there are some things I am not so crazy about. Feel free to PM me.

I run Caldera on Debian, Kubuntu and os 10.6.8, no real crashing issues. One does have to have a good housekeeping regiment though as temp files do not auto purge and in our shop they pile up quick. On the Mac scrolling with the scroll button is kind of funky but other than that it is fine. I have not used Onyx since Production House 7, at that time it used Jaws so transparencies and overprints were a PIA. Caldera does handle them well but sometimes we get unexpected results when comparing to our proofs. We do not use Caldera to drive our proofers and that does cause issues sometimes. All in all I don't think there is a magic bullet that does everything perfectly but we are pretty happy with Caldera.

I am evaluating caldera right now on linux.. so far so it's OK, but I am not convinced.
I have read that people love Caldera's support - I for one have mixed feelings. Some questions get answered clearly, some not.
I am trying to run an ecosolvent printer along with an aqueous Canon.
I am right now unable to profile my 12 colour canon and was told to try it in RGB mode, and that most customers don't run their Canon's in 12colour mode as it's "too slow". Pretty surprising and non-sensical comment from their tech support - I'm just left shaking my head...

In terms of hardware, you don't need all that much, they don't really recommend anything past an i5 with 4gb ram. It's up to you if you want more. You will get an idea once you start ripping large files on whatever system you choose and make up your mind if you made the right choice :) My debian system hasn't crashed yet (been a couple weeks), been doing a small number of jobs and mostly profiling media.

As of today I am leaning back towards Onyx although there are some things I am not so crazy about. Feel free to PM me.

Unable to profile the 12 color Canon would be a good reason, if you could do better in Onyx - Alternatively if you have a Xrite I wonder if it would work Xrite spectro profiling software? I would give them a call. Or perhaps the issue is you are using a embedded spectro - I've heard of issues with the HP with that but we do have a Xrite spectro that is supposed to be supported by Caldera.

Could you tell me your Linux server specs hardware wise - thank you.

Ken

Yes I know Mac is bsd and works on Xwindow , but our observation findings are If u install caldera on debian and keep on using no issues, but when u tries to update or install profiles and taking backup time we found 5% of chances to corrupt the files system.

Last edited:
Yes I know Mac is bsd and works on Xwindow , but our observation findings are If u install caldera on debian and keep on using no issues, but when u tries to update or install profiles and taking backup time we found 5% of chances to corrupt the files system.

I intend to try a Caldera-Debian 64 bit using Workstation components, also trial of Onyx with Windows and same components so must be large enough for Onyx - if system is unstable with Caldera but we like it otherwise I can buy a Mac as you recommend.

I will try and cut and paste intended components in, we have separately 2 Western Digital Black drives already.

Qty.

Product Description

Savings

Total Price

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Item #: N82E16811129042Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant
$69.99$59.99

SilverStone SDP08 2 x 2.5" to 3.5" Bay Converter SilverStone SDP08 2 x 2.5" to 3.5" Bay Converter Item #: N82E16817997007Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$3.00 Instant
$12.99$9.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance ... Item #: N82E16817139029Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$30.00 Instant
$15.00 USD Mail-in Rebate $149.99$119.99

Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM Item #: N82E16832416552Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy $149.99

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Item #: N82E16820147193Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy -$20.00 Instant
$249.99$229.99
Subtotal: $569.95

Calculate ShippingPostal Code Update

Choose a delivery method

$21.02 Ground (Domestic)
$39.00 Express (Domestic)

Shipping: $21.02
Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $29.55
PST: $41.37

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAE-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600 SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAE-O ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C226 DDR3 1600 Item #: N82E16813182831Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$229.99

Intel Intel Xeon E3-1275V3 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 95W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80646E31275V3 Intel Intel Xeon E3-1275V3 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 95W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80646E31275V3 Item #: N82E16819116908Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $369.99
Subtotal: $599.98

Calculate Shipping

Choose a delivery method

$13.65 Ground (International)
$22.58 Express (International)

Shipping: $13.65
Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $30.68
PST: $42.96

Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11/8 Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11/8 Item #: N82E16820239370CVFReturn Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $189.98($94.99 each)
Subtotal: $189.98

Calculate Shipping

Choose a delivery method

$8.14 Ground (Domestic)
$11.29 Express (Domestic)

Shipping: $8.14
What's this?Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $9.91
PST: $13.87

Feel Free to point out mistakes in parts as I have not tried putting together a Xeon system before.

Thanks, Ken

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back