rejuvenating used blankets has any one tryed this remarkable claim that this company

kbarz

looking into trying to let this company rejuvenate some mashed, rubber pulled out of the blanket..my question has anyone got this desperate to try this and if so what was the results..my boss says we must cut costs. so he thinks this will work.this 36 yr pressman is very skeptacle . any feed back will be helpfull kbarz

I've never heard of this, in fact it sounds ridiculous, but I'm sure there is a company claiming to do so. For all I know it's possible the results are great but I doubt that.

If it works out for the blankets tell your boss he can save even more money having your pick up suckers rejuvenated too.

Give them a try, I think the first 10 blankets are free so what have you got to lose?

Enviro Image Solutions Inc.

ASAIK Their rejuvenation process only applies to blankets used in a UV environment. Sheetfed and web UV printers experience printing blanket failure caused by a latent image of the printing form adhering to the blanket after a few thousand impressions. This latent image cannot be removed with conventional blanket wash. UV printers often refer to this phenomenon as "ghosted image," "latent image," "burn-in" or "image memory." That is what EIS fixes with their system. The process was developed by Metropolitan Fine Printers to solve the latent image problem some time after they switched to hybrid UV inks. They spun the business into an independent entity that's been doing the rejuvenation process for about ten years now.

best, gordo

The blanket rejuvenation program has been tested repeatedly on multiple presses and can be used with UV, conventional and hybrid printers.
They cannot fix smashed blankets, cut blankets,Pin holed blankets or blankets that have been delaminated or come out of the bars.
Blankets are returned with a latent image on them which sometimes causes issues as pressman feel they are just putting back an old used blanket on the press. Technology is from Vancouver Canada and I hear that the Japenese send thousands of blankets across the Pacific to be rejuvinated. my 0.02c worth

Cornishpastythighs and Gordo,

I am very curious to know how you figured that the EIS is what the original poster was referring to. He does not mention it by name and my Safari browser shows no link to it in his message.

Al

There's not many folks into the blanket rejuvinating process and I have a friend in Canada who uses this service and has found it a good cost saver. So to answer your question it made sense to put him (the OP) onto this company. Do you know of any other companies doing this? if so I would be very interested in seeing their website.
Thanks

Last edited:
Cornishpastythighs and Gordo,

I am very curious to know how you figured that the EIS is what the original poster was referring to. He does not mention it by name and my Safari browser shows no link to it in his message.

EIS is the only company I know that rejuvenates UV blankets - so I made a guess that it was the company that the OP was referring to. I know George Kallas the former President of Met Fine printers (now retired) in Vancouver who funded the development of the process and I believe is still a stakeholder.

If there's anyone else doing this I'd love to know 'cause there's no other company listed in the Googleverse.

best, gordo

Last edited:
Thanks Cornish and Gordo.

It all makes sense now. I was just wanting to know if there was a problem with my browser (or with me) that I could not see a link in the original post.

Al

ESI is the companys name, they didnt say anything about rejuvenating only blankets for uv .my boss is thinking any blanket,any kind of defect this ESI company can fix.. now i run 40inch roland with tower coater and u v when job calls for it.. this press prints on the bearer,now this blanket has been used and torqued to 95 NM this has to interfear with me holding 0.02 over bearer.but must do what pressroom manager says, this just might help his morie look even more noticeable, due to screen angles.. eagerly awaiting there arivel kbarz

I think the way it works is like this, they send you a empty box that will hold say 100 used blankets. You take your old worn out blankets and after doing your own quick inspection (no cuts, delamination, ripped bars) you tape up the corners of the bars so they dont scratch the surface and you ship them to EIS. They only rejuvinate blankets that are worth going through the process and you only pay for the ones they can save. So you might send them 100 blankets but only 70 of them are worth saving so you pay for 70.
Hope that helps

Their site says that they CAN fix smashes. The cost of the trial is simply the cost of sending them ten spent/damaged blankets. It seems like it would be worth a try. I'm going to let my department manager know about this company and see what he thinks.

gordo,, was just funning around on the morie ,,we changed to the round dot about 2 yeras ago and we have had a morie ever since, tryed to explaine to managers that the screen angles must be right for the round dot to not get the morie.. so i just threw in the used blankets( which i think is crazy,we print for pharma and health care no need for missing copy,and other things) to add to already present morie have not recived blankets yet ,just dont like the thought of retreads on my 7/c roland.. 1 more thing to worry about... kbarz

gordo,, was just funning around on the morie ,,we changed to the round dot about 2 yeras ago and we have had a morie ever since, tryed to explaine to managers that the screen angles must be right for the round dot to not get the morie.. so i just threw in the used blankets( which i think is crazy,we print for pharma and health care no need for missing copy,and other things) to add to already present morie have not recived blankets yet ,just dont like the thought of retreads on my 7/c roland.. 1 more thing to worry about... kbarz

Just to be clear, round dot cannot give you moiré if the screen angles are the same as a different dot shape that doesn't give moirés.

Met Printers who developed the blanket rejuvenation process have a 6/c Rolland 700 using hybrid UV inks and print 10 micron FM exclusively.

best, gordo

Our company has been utilizing this program with great success. We're a primarily UV shop with around 15 machines running 24-7. Even with a half-hearted first year, we saved $100,000. Now that the pressmen and supervisors have bought in, I'm looking at a conservative forecast of around $250,000 this year, based upon the first 2 months of this year. It works, I promise you.

Our company has been utilizing this program with great success. We're a primarily UV shop with around 15 machines running 24-7. Even with a half-hearted first year, we saved $100,000. Now that the pressmen and supervisors have bought in, I'm looking at a conservative forecast of around $250,000 this year, based upon the first 2 months of this year. It works, I promise you.

Bravo, good to hear that. Only by embracing change in all areas of our process will litho continue to survive.

In a previous post I said that EIS only rejuvenates UV/Hybrid UV blankets. That is because UV/Hybrid UV blankets suffer from latent image problems and can easily tripple the blanket usage (and therefore cost) compared with conventional inks. That is what prompted Kallas to develop the rejuvenation process. I have since spoken with the company and they rejuvenate conventional blankets as well. They do this service for many large web and sheetfed companies.

best, gordo

Blanket - EMBOSSING

Blanket - EMBOSSING

Hello fellow Lithographers,

1) Pattern of raised image shows from previous job (Embossing)
2) Cause: Image area of blanket absorbs ink vehicles

How to Diminish - I recommend where possible you PRIME the new blanket first, using the appropriate
ink- liquid reducer, leave to soak in for 1/2 hours then dry off.

ONLY the blanket face.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back