Replaced Printer yesterday, couple questions

Weston

Hello,

I surely hope that I am on the right forum to ask this as I have this feeling that this forum iis for Industry professionals and not home/office users of printers. But since I registered and am here I'll ask anyway.

I was running my Brother MFC 440CN printer for a few years until I finally got tired of having to dig out another color printer everytime that I needed to print in color since the 440CN was so rarely used for color (last time being over a year ago) that the printheads must have been gunked up on the cyan and magenta and no amount of "cleaning" was allowing more than a dot or two of either of those colors to come through.

So I purchased an HP Officejet 6500 yesterday and here is where my questions come in for those that are familiar with the HP Officejet 6500

1. I do an extensive amount of printing in black only (it's all text), but do have to do some color now and again, if let's say the Cyan color cartridge runs dry on this HP 6500 and I need to print in black, will I still be able to? (Keyboard died, had to do a reboot, but back now). The reason I ask is because on the Brother 440CN if one color ran out, it woudn't print anything, even though it has a seperate black ink cartridge.

2. After I print a simple 2 page text document on the HP 6500 printer, it sounds like the printer is cleaning the nozzles or something. It just sort of makes some noise like the ink carriage might be moving around, or basically what my Brother printer sounded like when we would try to clean the nozzles. Does anybody know what this HP is actually doing after it's printed a document? The Brother printer would literally use up the Cyan, Yellow and Magenta ink just by "cleaning" itself as often as it did, and we'd have to refill or replace the color inks every 3 to 4 months even though we wouldn't have done any color prints in that same time period.

3. On the brother printer I had the option to scale down a text document to print. I found this necessary for some documents so that I could avoid printing a second page to a document that had nothing but maybe the date on it. It's beyond my control to choose how the pages format as they are web submission reports for my work and controlled by the auto manufacturer.

To get around this waste of a page we would simply set the scale to be 93% for the document and it would then print everything out including the date at the bottom of the document on one page. However I don't see the option to scale the document in the HP printer properties. Is it there and I'm just not seeing it, if so where? If such a thing does not exist, could anybody make some suggestions on what other option there might be that would help us out so that we don't burn through extra pages in documents when it's usually nothing more than a date or URL on the 2nd page.

4. Last one for the time being. On the brother printer I had an option that would let me take a text document in something like notepad and print it directly to the Brother printers fax system so that it could fax out the document and I wouldn't have to print it out to paper first. Is there a way to do this with the HP 6500 printer? There used to be a printer in my computers printers list that was called Brother PC FAX (it's gone now since I removed the Brother printer.

Is there a way of accomplishing the same thing with the HP Officejet 6500? To print straight from a text document to the printers fax system to send the document as a fax instead of printing out the doc, then running it throught the HP 6500's scanner to fax out?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back