Replacement Plate maker questions.

I created an account to hopefully get some answers or opinions on a machine we're thinking about purchasing. Background: I have a background on copiers and oversize printing only (former Kinkos/FedEx office employee) but I now run a small print shop for my local government. We have 3 mid level xerox machines and a AB Dick 9870 press which we use only with black ink to print envelopes and NCR only. We run anywhere between 10000 to 30000 envelopes usually a month on this machine. The machine we are replacing is an ITEK 613S camera/platemaker.

We're in the process of replacing the plate maker so that we can deal with less chemicals and get something a little more modern. Because of our low volume, we don't need an insanely expensive machine so we have budgeted around $5000 for a new machine. We'll still keep the 9870 since that runs well and I have a press operator who knows it well. The company that sold us these machines many years ago have offered a solution in the JT platemaker on an Epson 3880 for right at our budget.

My questions would be, has anyone had experience with this machine? We currently use poly(?) plates but the Epson will only print onto metal. Will this be an issue? Are there other options that are around the same price that I should be considering? Is buying the Epson 3880 separately and then just buying plates an option?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this type of machine or the process in general, as I said I have a print press operator who is knowledgeable on the press but also pretty old school. When him and the salesman speak, it's like they're speaking the same language but different dialect if that makes sense.

I would look into an HP5000 - pretty inexpensive eBay has some for less than 500 dollars. Then contact your local printing supply house for plastic plates to run through it. We did it a couple of years back and it is way better than shooting stuff on a silver master camera . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back