Replacing our Xerox 252 with the 700

hubstar

I work at an engineering firm where I print about 75,000 prints per month of 8.5x11 and 11x17 (single sided, double sided, z-fold, hole punch, staple, etc). Currently we have a DocuColor 252 (2 years old) and it is dying. We have had a tech out here at least three times a week for the past month, and about once a week before that for months and months. Our work flow is being severely interrupted and my patience is just about shot.

I have been told by my sales rep that our 252 is dying because of the volume we're sending. One tech of ours said he thinks it's dying not because of the volume, but because we are always changing up the settings and size of documents. Another tech disagreed and insisted that the 700 will solve our problems.

I am very wary of Xerox and don't really trust them. Does anyone have any idea if a 700 would be a better fit for our usage? It would be a huge bummer to get a new machine in here just to be faced with the same problems.

Any honest opinions or experience is very welcome.

Thank you!

Some people have had issues with the 700, some haven't. It is a hit or miss. We upgraded from a 252 (matter fact it is still being used as a backup) to the 700 and are happy with it so far, have about 1.3 million clicks on the 700 so far. I was not involved with the 700 upgrade but looking back I wish they had looked at KM as well before upgrading.

Check out the 700i as well.

We have both ...252 and a 700 (not I) and the 700 as far as I'm concerned is a great machine......about 500,000 clicks in and no problems what so ever.

The 252 documentation states it's designed to operate optimally with an average volume between 15k-50k. The 700i documentation states it is designed to operate between 20k-75k.

The 700 can be good if you have good climate control. If not, get ready for headaches. Also, you need to profile your most used papers. The techs used to do this, but now they leave it for you.
Try to get the high capacity feeder. It helps with jamming issues. You can get it with finishers to do all that other stuff.

The Xerox700, 700i and 770 are great machine. First 700 machine has some problems but now everything is good. If you buy service documentation will be a costless machine because you will know the cause of defects.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back