Ricoh C7100 / C9100 toner - interchangable?

mfilipow

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask, if anyone knows, if C7100 and C9100 use the very same toner?
I would assume so, but what confuses me: C9100 toners are rated for higher or even much higher page count, even if they weight the same?
On the other hand - if you look at alibaba, many seller offer toner powder - a single product/SKU - for "C5100, C7100, C9100".

I also looked at MSDS for C7100, C9100 and also C5100 and indeed, they seem identical, - of course, they don't mention the exact toner composition, but ranges are the same, - on the other hand they differ from both C751 and C7200 which have different formulations, so this could support the theory, that Cx100 Printers are indeed using the same powder.

If the pulver is compatible - is it the same bottle, but just a different top (I mean the part, which is black on C7100 and gray on C9100 series, which is easily removable)? There are multiple small barcodes and qr codes on every of them, and they are also physically coded (different rectangle patterns - for color, probably), - so would it be enough to mount the C7100 caps on C9100 toner containers?

In my country (Germany), C9100 toner is very affordable, - and C7100 got more expensive lately, to the extent, where it sometimes cost 80-100% more, related to the C9100 toner. So if possible, we would like to change, as we are otherwise quite happy with our C7100x (after we recently replaced the black developer unit and got rid of banding).

Thanks.

Last edited:
yes, they are. I had c7100, my dealer mailed me 9100 or 7200 toner by mistake many times, I just did not bother to ask them to replace it, the bottle rotation gear comes off easily, never had any issues.

yes, they are. I had c7100, my dealer mailed me 9100 or 7200 toner by mistake many times, I just did not bother to ask them to replace it, the bottle rotation gear comes off easily, never had any issues.
And you didn't have to adjust any settings when using the C7200 toner? This toner is supposed to have more gloss (given the same fixing temperature) than C7100. But otherwise - very interesting, C7200 toner is also widely available in my area. But for now, we will give C9100 toner the try.

BTW: Anyone knows, why C9100 toner is rated for much higher page count than C7100, although weight is the same? It is like 58000 pages with black C9100 toner and 45000 with C7100, both weighting ca 1.5kg? I could assume that C9100 lays less toner because of much higher speed, maybe this is the reason, but then - is the print quality and color density the same?

And you didn't have to adjust any settings when using the C7200 toner? This toner is supposed to have more gloss (given the same fixing temperature) than C7100. But otherwise - very interesting, C7200 toner is also widely available in my area. But for now, we will give C9100 toner the try.

BTW: Anyone knows, why C9100 toner is rated for much higher page count than C7100, although weight is the same? It is like 58000 pages with black C9100 toner and 45000 with C7100, both weighting ca 1.5kg? I could assume that C9100 lays less toner because of much higher speed, maybe this is the reason, but then - is the print quality and color density the same?
I did not get any problems when I switched toner, but my c7100 never gave me consistent color, regardless of what kind of toner I was using.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back