RICOH vs Konica vs Xerox (Printshop solution)

united4orlife

Hi folks!

I'm owner to a newly started printshop in Sweden. Most of the time I spent now in the beginning is to handle paperwork and marketing but now the time has come to invest in a copier/printer to really start of production.

Since I´m a newbie I really need all help I can get in my comparision between copiers to finally choose one. I have thought of following machines. The main workflow for theese will be to print brochures, posters, business card, b-day cards and other invitations from A5 up to full bleed A3 format in bw/color. Production volumes per month will not exceed 50.000 pages maybe half the volume. BUDGET is set at 5000 Euros ex. VAT.

The machine I'm searching for (used) need to fulfill theese listed expectations
-under 100.000 pages in print count
-above 600x600 dpi
-above 25 ppm
-above 250 gsm
-full bleed up to A3 (SRA3)
-real Adobe Postscript is a plus
-easy to use and stable machine

What is your opinion about these models? Is there a clear winner?
What are the cons and pros? ..or do you have better suggestions?

Konika Minolta Bizhub C452
RICOH MCP 2500
Xerox Workcentre 7345

Feel free to vote.
Please Vote: Best printshop solution?!

Thanks!!

Well - number one - please research the model that have straight paper path.
Konica Minolta C6500, Xerox DC-242 or similar.
Machines with numerous 90 degree angel turnes in paper path isn't really a good choice for production environment. Will create problems handling bent paper in postpress.

Well - number one - please research the model that have straight paper path.
Konica Minolta C6500, Xerox DC-242 or similar.
Machines with numerous 90 degree angel turnes in paper path isn't really a good choice for production environment. Will create problems handling bent paper in postpress.

Thanks for the tip. I will do a wider research about that. What do I have to be worried about concerning angeled paper paths? Will it make the finishing impossible? Stuck paper in the printer? So you dont really recommend any of theese machines. I sadly dont know if my budget is affordable for any other/better machine to start with at this point. :confused:

Well, you're looking at all mentioned issues plus machines you had picked are really office machines nothing more than that. No fiery - no color control
A nice DC242 will cost about 12000 and KM C6501 will cost 15000 where KM6500 cost about 10,000 to 12,000 here in USA

Hi, no - not really. It is not necessary that machine will lay and mix toners according to your design, most of the time it does not work universally on all the jobs and all the stocks, and there is no control and barely any calibration in standard machines. I mean well tekan care of machine can and will produce acceptable color for office environment but we're being a little picky in printing. I would strongly advice you search for someone with similar units near-by and ask them to print few pages for you. Take thickest cardstock you're planning on using and some #80 / #100 text gloss and look what will come out. Bent, roller marks color quality.
Like Xerox wc7335 will always put exit roller marks-lines on glossy paper on high coverage jobs. It may fail to separate your 80/100 text gloss on longer runs due to static build-up and feed 2-5 sheets at the time killing the fuser even with new feed rollers. Tech advised me to run it as thick glossy media to slow the machine - it helped but it slowed the machine down plus, I think, I was not able to duplex with that setting on. Plus keep in mind that most economical way to print cards is 12x18 or 13x19 where office machines will allow you work with 11x17 only. Like WC-7335 will only do 12x18 from by-pass and no duplex. OKI C9800 can take 12x18 from all he trays and duplex them so I can print full bleed brochure loading all 4 trays / 2000 sheets at once... I have purchased lots of different machines through my business development - every time I bought something driven by "this is how much I have to spend" rather "this is a right tool for the job" I had lost money and winded up selling what I bought for what ever I could get for it and buying right equipment anyway....

Thanks again for sharing your personal experiences. I really, really appreciate it!
I will try to not make the same misstakes, tho mistakes is often the best lesson
for later success :D

You mentioned the models Bizhub Pro 6500 and Docucolor 242. Do you have any
other production printers witch could fit into the same class regarding print quality
or/and price? I'd love to hear if there is any other brands.

The above 2 models are too far off my budget "at this moment" but I did find a
printer from Xerox named Docucolor 240 - guess its the former model to 242.
Is this something comperiable at all, or nothing to have?
It is an almost new machine with print counter slightly under 50K pages total
+ Fiery RIP included for the price 5 thousand Euros incl VAT.. Seems like a superb deal for me!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back