Riso Comcolor 7050

Mark H

Ok, so when you're done laughing....

So I'm in the market for a color printer and have been looking at the Ricoh c900, Xerox 700, and KM6501. One of my vendors recently brought in samples made on a Riso 7050 inkjet. While certainly not awe inspiring quality, I print statements and invoices and not photos. So, this *might* work.

Biggest question I have is about the IS900C Adobe Postscript RIP. We use the MicroPress 7 with our KM1050's and it works great. Don't know if this will handle the volume of vdp we will be pushing through it.

Anyone have experience with this platform?

TIA

Mark H

Wow?!?! Really, not a single reply? Not that I'm surprised, mind you. I've got desktop printers that put out better quality (although not at 120 pages/minute).

Thanks,

Mark H

Mark,
I can tell you with certainty that the RISO ComColor 7050 with the IS900C RIP will handle your VPD volume reliably. This system is designed to realistically handle up to 500,000 impressions per month - every month. The RIP will run the variable data of your statements and invoices at the full rated speed of 120 ppm. You should not expect any slow-down. There are a lot of service bureaus that are printing this volume on a consistent basis using RISO inkjet printers.

You are correct: the print quality is not graphics quality. No glossy paper or high-line screens. However, you should expect the quality to remain consistent over the entire run length. RISO does not represent this image quality to compare to laser/toner output and the company doesn't recommend that print service providers do so with their customers either. This system is for high-speed light-coverage color applications in which speed, low cost and high-volume reliability are critical. Transactional applications are perfect for this quality, as are some books, direct mail, and other jobs in which graphics quality is not needed. Do you want to pay a click charge of $.045 to $.055 for an EP color copier when you could be spending as little as $.01 to $03 per page with ComColor? Don't forget, the B&W cost can be less than $.004 in high volumes. What does B&W cost on your Ricoh c900, Xerox 700, and KM6501?

If you are running more than 40k in monthly volume, you should ask your rep about the 7050-R. The R version costs a little more in hardware, but the ink is less expensive. Also, for about $6k more, you can get 150 ppm output from the ComColor 9050.

By the way, for full disclosure, I work for RISO, Inc., but this is the straight story on this product.

Absolutely not. The system uses oil-based pigment ink, not water-based ink. It dries immediately upon printing and does not smear or run when exposed to moisture.

I do NOT work for Riso but I have been on a demo with their HC5500 (which is a little different than their newer machines). I do not own any Riso product, I just want to validate what Mr. Murphy is claiming. It is a very fine machine for the right products. On my demo, I brought my own paper and files. Some prints did not look as good as the original (printed on my Xante Ilumina) but some looked BETTER! And none of them smeared! (Well, except for the one print that had 100% coverage on 24lb bond LOL! But that only happened fresh out of the machine. Again this was a few years ago. I believe the new machines have a better ink formula.) In addition to the applications mentioned, I think it would be a great asset for those "junk" jobs or "price junky" customers.

If I had a little more work for a machine like that, I would get one. Just ask David (Murphy) as I have spoken with him on the phone on several occasions.

Keith Moore
Celestial Print & Design

P.S. And Mark H, I'm not laughing.

Last edited:
I wondering about the viability of using it for letterhead and envelopes (can they feed envelopes). Is there any chance that the ink will get "jacked up" if run through a copier or laser printer?

Yes, it runs envelopes and letterhead. There is no heat process (or toner or pressure) and the paper path is pretty simple. So because of all this, the paper exits the tray cool, flat, and dry. No warping of the paper at all so the inkjet-printed letterhead goes smoothly through a laser printer or copier for imprinting.

(I want every forum member reading this thread to know that I am not promoting or selling this product here. My only objective is to answer posted questions about our product truthfully and to set the record straight if someone makes an inaccurate statement about it.)

I wondering about the viability of using it for letterhead and envelopes (can they feed envelopes).

That's why I want to get one. I've printed business cards on my desktop Epson RX595 and they looked awesome. It cost me a fortune but I think a Riso inkjet could probably do almost as good. You'll get that flat uncoated look that a lot of graphic designers like instead of that spot varnish look that toner does on uncoated paper.

I have the Riso ComColor 7050 and printing envelopes is not a very fond task here at my company. We normally do not print envelopes, but there arises a need to print envelopes from time to time. I am searching for a better solution with the settings, considering we expect jam after jam when printing envelopes to this model. Are there any settings or recommendations anyone may offer? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Water based MICR inks

Water based MICR inks

Hi David, I am new to the forum so please excuse the direct contact. My company are manufacturers of MICR ink for use in inkjet printers. Initially formulated for use in desktop applications we are rolling this out to high speed machines. My question relates to the nature of your oil based inks. My understanding is that you are using oil based to facilitate high speed drying, but I wonder if you can confirm if we use a water based MICR in a 4 colour printer this should work OK? Am I right in thinking that your only concern would be drying?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back