Salary Negotiation

gordo

299%20Salary%20Negotiation_zpsinut5je0.jpg

Ahhh, yes. I see what you mean Mr. Owner. However, just think how much more money you can make after I leave, and, YOU are running the press......

Ahhh, yes. I see what you mean Mr. Owner. However, just think how much more money you can make after I leave, and, YOU are running the press......

"Well, I'm sorry about your decision. Luckily, because of all the print shop closures, we have plenty of qualified folks ready to take your job that are also happy to accept a lower salary than what we're currently paying you. I hope you'll enjoy spending much more time with your family."

Last edited:
"Well, I'm sorry about your decision. Luckily, because of all the print shop closures, we have plenty of qualified folks ready to take your job that are also happy to accept a lower salary than what we're currently paying you. I hope you'll enjoy spending much more time with your family."

I've heard that quite a bit, but never so politely put. More like, "you don't like your job, leave. There are plenty of other people who want a job around here."

The boss has an employer too, they're called customers. If the boss raises his prices (salary) his customers (employers) might choose to go somewhere else. The boss and the employee are in the exact same situation - if you ask for more money, the people who pay you might not agree to pay it. This used to be a common concept known as 'bargaining in the free market'.

Last edited:
The boss has an employer too, they're called customers. If the boss raises his prices (salary) his customers (employers) might choose to go somewhere else. The boss and the employee are in the exact same situation - if you ask for more money, the people who pay you might not agree to pay it. This used to be a common concept known as 'bargaining in the free market'.

I'd agree with this wholeheartedly. I get a raise when my customers give me a raise. I get a pay cut whenever they decide to give me one also. Guess what, my employees never get a pay cut unless they get fired. And thankfully I haven't had to fire anyone for a long time due to income.

My favorite one I heard being an owner. "Ya know, you just bought that fancy new equipment, I think I deserve a raise."

I like that some employees always say they deserve more because they are truely the ones who make us owners money. Which is partly true. They are part of the means of making a product. But ask them to start chipping in on lease payments and then you hear the old spill, well your the owner, that's your responsibility.

"Ya know, you just bought that fancy new equipment, I think I deserve a raise."

I love that one! What they don't realize is I just invested a ton of money to make us more cost competitive. We have to buy that new equipment just to stay in business. If we went back to the equipment we had even 5 or 10 years ago, we couldn't stay in business because prices have dropped that much. Would the press operator like to write a check for 1.5mm dollars just to keep his current job? Yeah, I didn't think so . . .

The boss has an employer too, they're called customers...

Back when I was an employee, I asked my employer what it was like to be boss. He pointed at the front door and said, "Every customer that walks through that door is my boss, so I'm not the one in charge."

To opine more specifically on the topic, similarly to what AP90 said, us employers are the last ones to get paid and often times depends upon how much money is left. So really, you need to look to your neighbors for a raise. The ones that decide to email their invitations instead of getting them printed. Because they are customers, like you and me and when we decide to save a little money here and there and not buy a particular product; the employer is really just the messenger. Not to disregard the fact that there are employers that think exactly as Gordo's cartoon illustrates.

I won't deny the fact that sometimes I look at it like Gordo's cartoon, but only in the sense that someone should only ask for a raise if I'm benefiting from it. If the employee is q strong employee with a good work ethic and has benefited my company by being more efficient and helping with increased revenue, then by all means they deserve a raise. Now if someone ask me for a raise, and they have not done any of those things and are just collecting a paycheck, then that when I look at it like Gordo's cartoon. It will literally be cutting my salary to increase theirs because they had not added any additional value to me before trying to get more money from me.

I won't deny the fact that sometimes I look at it like Gordo's cartoon, but only in the sense that someone should only ask for a raise if I'm benefiting from it. If the employee is q strong employee with a good work ethic and has benefited my company by being more efficient and helping with increased revenue, then by all means they deserve a raise. Now if someone ask me for a raise, and they have not done any of those things and are just collecting a paycheck, then that when I look at it like Gordo's cartoon. It will literally be cutting my salary to increase theirs because they had not added any additional value to me before trying to get more money from me.

One of the problems I've often seen is that as you move from owner through the line to the press operator (and yes bindery) the less understanding (or connection) the employee has of their activities as it relates to the company's profitability or to production efficiency. At the early stage of production - the owner/sales point - the connection and understanding is very strong, but once you're in the pressroom (or bindery) that's typically no longer true. Jobs just come in and go out one after the other day after day. There is no personal involvement or perceived employee impact in the company in that respect unless the shop reduces production hours or shuts its door. The lack of connection to a personal benefit may result in a lack of incentive to change how one works and hence no incentive to being more efficient or increase revenue.

@Gordo:

Boss, it cold out here in this cruel world and, familiy is on my last nerve. (WHAT was I thinking?) I apologize. Would you consider hiring me back?

@Gordo:

Boss, it cold out here in this cruel world and, familiy is on my last nerve. (WHAT was I thinking?) I apologize. Would you consider hiring me back?

Boss: "Well, you need to submit your résumé like anyone else otherwise we might be accused of discrimination. But honestly, I think you're over qualified for the salary level we're able to pay."

Nevermind.....Don't need the job now. Got about $20 million coming from a business deal in Nigeria. I only had to front him $2,500 so he could get the cashier's check cut from the bank. It should be here sometime next week.

Nevermind.....Don't need the job now. Got about $20 million coming from a business deal in Nigeria. I only had to front him $2,500 so he could get the cashier's check cut from the bank. It should be here sometime next week.

Lucky bugger!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back