Sheetfed, GRACoL Profile - are 1% dots OK? How about 2%

HarveyDunn

Hello all,

I'm a designer working on a color-critical project that will be printed on a sheet-fed press using the GRACoL profile. We have not yet chosen the printing company. I'm hoping you can educate me on a few points so that I can do a better job of designing the piece and also communicate more intelligently with the printing companies when we start soliciting quotes.

Can modern presses hold a 1% or 2% dot? Does the answer to that vary from company to company? Is there any particular kind of press that is better than others with this regard - or is there a certain age of machine that I should be worried about?

Can modern presses hold a 1% or 2% dot? Does the answer to that vary from company to company? Is there any particular kind of press that is better than others with this regard - or is there a certain age of machine that I should be worried about?

The ability to hold 1% and 2% dots depends on the specific print shop's setup. If that is a critical issue for you then you need to confirm for yourself whether the shop you ask to provide a quote is capable or not. It's up to you to qualify potential suppliers before you have them do a quote on your project.

gordo

Thanks, that is good to know. Do I also have to ask about the opposite end of the spectrum, i.e. If I want 98% and 99% C is that what I will get, or will they press default to 100%?

Thanks, that is good to know. Do I also have to ask about the opposite end of the spectrum, i.e. If I want 98% and 99% C is that what I will get, or will they press default to 100%?

Generally 98% and 99% will likely fill in on press. But that is unlikely to hurt the final print appearance.

Gordo

When quantifying or qualifying the printer for your critical job run Yes (perhaps) if the press is new, operated and kept up to spec, and if the printer is accurately consistently testing measuring and controlling the determined ranges ie: in Dot % on their Plates, Blankets, Inks, etc. There are limits normally in the extreme ranges due to the process itself...

These variables all commingle in the process to result in the ranges you may seek or that printers may specify to reproduce, are likewise based upon the job Substrate and Screening specs you choose too ie: Coated vs. UnCoated paper, LPI vs. Micron spot sizes, etc.

The printer cannot guarantee ranges without knowing true variables and these must be kept under control if the extreme image ranges are to be possible. This may occur only when all things are balanced, known and compensated for in repro, under the best conditions and in regularly tested and proven systems. There are limits - normally in the extreme ranges due to the process itself...

Hello all,

I'm a designer working on a color-critical project that will be printed on a sheet-fed press using the GRACoL profile. We have not yet chosen the printing company. I'm hoping you can educate me on a few points so that I can do a better job of designing the piece and also communicate more intelligently with the printing companies when we start soliciting quotes.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back