Shop Lighting

Brer

Hello
We are looking into LED lighting to replace the old florescent tubes on our production floor. We would like to get as close to 5000 K as we can for a reasonable price.
We have a booth with standardized lighting at press. We just thought it would be nice to have the surrounding light as close as possible.
What temperature lights are you using in your shops?
Which way from 5000K do you like to work under? 6000 seems too blue 3500 seems too yellow.
Any other thoughts on LED?
Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this thead.

Our shop is all 5000k but fluorescent, LED was not around when we fitted out now we can't afford to upgrade as the payback is quite long but very worthwhile doing.

I would go slightly to the warmer side but not much.

It's not just the color temperature - you need to also consider the spectral composition of the light as well as its UV content.

Best gordo

How about overall brightness? have had an ongoing discussion with our electrical department about this issue, duct work and sprinkler pipes are below the actually lights. creating shadows throughout the entire room.

I'm no engineer but it seems that physically dropping the lighting to be as low if not lower would help this problem. - I'm told it won't help one bit.

Room size is 35 x 50

Personally i would get them below the pipework - shadows are very distracting.

The useful light from a fluorescent is very dependant upon distance.

Our lighting is around the 3m height, closer together around the press but more spaced in the general workshop area, I have a lux meter but just found the battery dead so i cant measure light levels.

Good quality broad spectrum LED lamps are really expensive. If you want a high color rendering index you have to pay because of the more complex manufacturing. Wide angle illumination costs extra. Driver supplies do fail. Exact replacements may be hard to find even in the short term. Fluorescent may be the better option a cheaper one in any case.

Your end purpose needs to be defined. For contract color Ok procedures and maintaining uniformity from ad agency viewing booths to visual viewing booths at press side or in a customer reviewing station near the press, The color needs to be precise, otherwise you will see it differently under all the different lighting conditions including outdoor lighting. Contact Just Normlicht or Graphic Technology Inc which have engineers that can help recommend the proper angles, and style of light booths. 5K light sources and booths have been pretty much standardized in the industry, but it sounds like you want to wander off the reservation to come up with your own standards. If it meets your customers and your requirements fine but why not consult the experts for their expertise and let your customers know that you are a quality printer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back