Short run label press options.

JrGong

Hi all,

Before I start I'm very new at this, I'm in the wide-format business for close to 2 years
and looking to invest in a label machine in the future. I joined this forum to learn more.
My main product is stickers and customers for a while have been requesting roll labels.
As someone who's now starting out, i would be looking at something that has the lowest cost of entry.
Can anyone suggest a machine with a small footprint that can print, die-cut, laminate, rewind basic label inclusive of:
- White ink
- Water bottle labels (not sure what material this is, clear PET??)
- Metallics

Cheers,
j

1. Decide on the the technology. Toner, UV or Aqueous. Aqueous systems are cheap, but the ink will not be water, sunlight or abrasion resistant. If you go Aqueous, you will have to laminate everything, which will increase cost and time. UV inks are much better for decals and they are the standard. However there are no cheap UV inkjet heads. So equipment will be more expensive. If you invest in a UV printing system, your ink costs will be 10% of any generic HP or Memjet printer. You inks will be much more vivid as well. UV will stick to many more substrates. Toner. Toner is more durable than aqueous and there are inexpensive web printers out there. But ...it is toner. Okidata, Neuralable and Primera have dirt cheap desktop toner and inkjet printers available. Again easy equipment cost, but high cost per print. Remember unless you buy pre-cut label stock, which can be difficult to feed; every label needs to be die cut.

1. Decide on the the technology. Toner, UV or Aqueous. Aqueous systems are cheap, but the ink will not be water, sunlight or abrasion resistant. If you go Aqueous, you will have to laminate everything, which will increase cost and time. UV inks are much better for decals and they are the standard. However there are no cheap UV inkjet heads. So equipment will be more expensive. If you invest in a UV printing system, your ink costs will be 10% of any generic HP or Memjet printer. You inks will be much more vivid as well. UV will stick to many more substrates. Toner. Toner is more durable than aqueous and there are inexpensive web printers out there. But ...it is toner. Okidata, Neuralable and Primera have dirt cheap desktop toner and inkjet printers available. Again easy equipment cost, but high cost per print. Remember unless you buy pre-cut label stock, which can be difficult to feed; every label needs to be die cut.

Thanks, Allot, I've done a bit of research and have not found any high-volume desktop printer that prints WHITE.
Trojan label has the BEST option right now, just wished it came with an option for white ink.

Thanks, Allot, I've done a bit of research and have not found any high-volume desktop printer that prints WHITE.
Trojan label has the BEST option right now, just wished it came with an option for white ink.
Two options with a quick google search:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back