Single queue for multiple machines

cec-prepress

Does anyone know of a simple solution for queuing jobs on multiple digital machines? We've got 2 black and white presses that have storage on them, but it can't be shared between the two. We'd like to get a system in place where files can be printed to a single location, then the pressmen can forward that file onto which ever press is open. And we're trying to keep it as point-and-click as possible for the pressmen. So all setup would already be done by the time the file reaches the queue. All the pressmen have to do is route the file to the correct press and then update quantity on the press (or update the quantity when the route it).
Everything we've found is too full featured. Something like Fiery Command Workstation would be nice, but it isn't compatible with our presses (they don't run on Fiery front ends - and we don't want to buy one just for this). I guess the solution we're looking for would basically house a postscript file. So we'd still use the print driver to set up the specifics of the job (slip sheets, duplex, etc...). I know there are plenty of other options out there that do allow for a more visual setup regardless of what press you have. I'm just looking for simple and inexpensive.

Thanks

I doubt any of what I'm about to say will be helpful for your current situation but, if for some reason all your printers are xerox, and they all have a FreeFlow Print Server's attached well then maybe.

With the freeflow print servers you can forward jobs from one printer to any other with a server. We have 3 b/w and 2 color printers all with FFPS and this is what we do all day long. My CSR's/Designers all send to one printer and production forwards that job to which ever one we want to print the job at.

You can also purchase software like FreeFlow Output Manager and I know KM has a similar product. These are optimized for their brand of printer but you can setup a competitor's printer as well. I don't know of the cost however and I'm sure not cheap.

@cec-prepress: Are the two B & W printers you have the same make & model? (is it the same print driver for both printers)?

Currently, they are both KM 1200s. We might be adding an additional machine which would likely be a 1250. The 1250 driver doesn't work with the 1200s, but the 1200 drivers supposedly work with the 1250. So, MailGuru, yes they have the same driver, at least for now. We'd prefer something that isn't dependent on the manufacturer, but obviously that does get pricey. QDirect might be an option, price dependent of course, but it looks like it might do what we want without requiring a lot of extra stuff we don't need.

When KM installed the printers, did they install the "KONICA MINOLTA PageScope Direct Print" software that allows you to point, drag & drop to the selected printer, or, to previously set-up hot folders which then automatically go to the selected printer? I'm pretty sure it's free. When we installed our KM Pro 1200, it came with the machine.

They did not, and it hasn't come up at all in our questioning them for options...probably because it's free. I'll take a look at that and see if it will work. Thanks.

KM was telling us that the Fiery system is going to launch in April. It is an option - I'm not EFI's biggest fan so I wanted to check on other options before we jump at that one. It is an option, for sure.

I believe that KM, at least in Europe, have a software suite called PrintGroove. I seem to recall that one of the modules is intended to handle queues for multiple print engines.

Right, hang in with me here.....
On the main print driver print the job to file. You will have a selection to "print to file" or you could PCL the job to a folder and then take the PCL/PS and copy it to the correct LPR/hot folder. This will keep the instructions of the job with the PCL/PS data.
Have the file location to a shortcut on the desktop for you press operators.
If your machines support hot folders or can take prn files directly, simply drag and drop the postscript file to which ever machine you prefer to run the job on.
To enable the members of this forum to assist you further, perhaps give us some indication of the machines you are using and what front end, if any, is on the machine.

:)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back