Slipped Disks

Cory Smith

185-Slipped-Disks.jpg

Too bad, I could have helped until about two years ago. Our ancient RIP was running on a B&W G3 with floppy drive.

But I use a Quicksilver with a Zip drive at home!

Another great one, Gordon!

Don't we all love obstinate customers... Ha! I remember those clunky old ZIP disks - I think they stored a whopping 100Mb?

Another great one, Gordon!

Don't we all love obstinate customers... Ha! I remember those clunky old ZIP disks - I think they stored a whopping 100Mb?

Back then that was progress. I still remember the days when the client would give you a handful of SyQuest's at 44mb

We have a customer that still comes in once a year and has us print out some addresses that they type at home. They always bring in the same 3.5" floppy disc. We have a USB drive set up on a machine for that one customer.

We also actually have several external ZIP, JAZ and SyQuest drives sitting in a closet upstairs. And we have a B&W G3 that has the necessary interfaces to connect with them. ;)

We have a customer that still comes in once a year and has us print out some addresses that they type at home. They always bring in the same 3.5" floppy disc. We have a USB drive set up on a machine for that one customer.

Does that customer live in a TENT or some log cabin - I mean, do they not have an email address - if they type it at home, and they are writing it to a floppy disk, they are on a computer - they can't save the file and email it to you ?

Does that customer live in a TENT or some log cabin - I mean, do they not have an email address - if they type it at home, and they are writing it to a floppy disk, they are on a computer - they can't save the file and email it to you ?

Because the NSA could intercept their data if they emailed it. Duh.

Because the NSA could intercept their data if they emailed it. Duh.

You made me think of another regular customer that we do a fair amount of work for. She is an older lady and extremely paranoid that her competitors are going to find out when she is planning to run sales. She also isn't too computer savvy, but does have a computer at her house that she has us send proofs to. Now here is the comical part…She actually has us call her just prior to sending the proof so that she can run down and turn on her computer and open the email program. She thinks that if she leaves her computer on and her email client open that someone may hack her computer and find out about her upcoming advertisements.

No joke!

You made me think of another regular customer that we do a fair amount of work for. She is an older lady and extremely paranoid that her competitors are going to find out when she is planning to run sales. She also isn't too computer savvy, but does have a computer at her house that she has us send proofs to. Now here is the comical part…She actually has us call her just prior to sending the proof so that she can run down and turn on her computer and open the email program. She thinks that if she leaves her computer on and her email client open that someone may hack her computer and find out about her upcoming advertisements.

No joke!

Must be a cutthroat business she is in. Too funny!

She could always use web-based e-mail. Hacking her computer wouldn't help unless she saves her passwords on the computer or uses auto-fill. But I'm sure you'd have so much fun explaining this to her.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back