Slow Network Response Mac 10.6.6

Raf704

Just got installed an iMac running Snow Leopard, didn't see a previous post on this issue. We have seen very slow response connecting to Windows server 2003 (SP2). There is often a noticeable delay when opening/navigating folders form this Mac on the server.

This doesn't occur from our older Macs running 10.5x & 10.4.11... any thoughts on what might be causing this issue or what I might try to troubleshoot and resolve? If there is a good site or post you can recommend, that'd be cool, too!

Thanks in advance, -Raf

A good place to start with any prepress Mac...

This is a generic set of instructions aiming MacOS 10.5 and 10.6, but the concept may be applied to 10.4 as well. Only versions 10.5 and 10.6 are covered here. Hints for MacOS 10.4 can be found in the text, but are not covered in detail.

From time to time, MacOS 10.x has some trouble communicating with other servers, especially when it comes to the AFP protocol, but not limited to it. Name resolution (DNS), SMB, WINS and other crucial networking resources may fail as well.

This document is a compilation of the several solutions found to mac-related network issues. It provides a series of alternatives that will either solve or bypass those limitations.

These instructions are meant for advanced users, and should be used at their own risk.

Preparing the system

1) Enable the root user: This is done using the Directory Utility application. On 10.5, go to Utilities > Directory Utility. On 10.6, you will have to go to “Go to folder” and type /System/Library/CoreServices. Once you open the folder, run Directory Utility. Open the padlock and enable the root user, defining its password. MacOS 10.4: Open NetInfo Manager, located in Applications > Utilities. Choose Security > Enable Root User and type a password for the root account. You may need to type an administrator password to make these changes.

2) Open a Terminal window (under Applications > Utilities)

3) Type the command su followed by enter and provide the password for the root user, defined
on STEP 1.

4) Type the command nano /etc/hosts followed by enter; This opens a simple text editor on the terminal. Navigate to the end of the file, using the arrow keys on the keyboard, and add the following:

IP address1 server name 1 IP address2 server name 2Make sure to replace IP address by the actual IP of your servers, as well as the server name.

For example:

192.168.5.205 hw21443-68 192.168.5.202 ycs1442-67

All of your Prinergy servers, or servers where you intend to have network/SMB access, must be present there. Save the file by pressing Control X and confirm saving the file (Y) and the file name (enter).

5) MacOS 10.6 only

While still on the Terminal application, type nano /etc/nsmb.conf (enter) Type the following text on the opened file:

####### [default] streams=no #######

Save the file by pressing Control X and confirm saving the file (Y) and the file name (enter).

6) Ensure that you can ping your servers by name and close the Terminal application. This is an important step ! If you cannot ping your servers by name, please go back to step 2 and check you entered the correct information.

7) Close all your applications that are possibly using Prinergy volumes.

8) Restart your system now; In some cases, changes will not take effect until the computer is rebooted.

9) Optional: in case of poor file copy performance between macs and Windows servers, over SMB, type this on the Terminal screen, as root, and restart the mac next:

echo 'net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

10) Optional - Disable the root user on the Directory Utility if you will.

We'll Give It a Try!

We'll Give It a Try!

Thanks for the detailed response, Joe...

I had found and done the 'streams=no' technique, which addressed fonts showing up as zero k from this Mac. Will try your suggested modifications to see if we can't get this current issue addressed as well.

Appreciate it very much! -Raf704

Joe, thanks for the writeup. I've been slow to totally push 10.6 out to all of the users because it seems like the problem is worse with it. I contacted Apple who said they don't support problems with server communication unless you are running Xserve...

Joe, thanks for the writeup. I've been slow to totally push 10.6 out to all of the users because it seems like the problem is worse with it. I contacted Apple who said they don't support problems with server communication unless you are running Xserve...

That does not surprise me though Apple recently discontinued the XServe line. I would guess they won't support that option for long either.

Apple Quietly Retiring The Xserve Today

Hopefully, 10.6.7 will fix all the SMB issues finally, as SMB is one of the things noted for this patch.
I hate opening a folder off the server and seeing a blank folder then a few sec's to a min, finally seeing the items in the folder....

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back