Slowwwww Trapping

christod

Since upgrading to AE12.1 our trapping of complex files has slowed to an absolute crawl.

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour?

Sometimes in PackEdge 12 the trap will work, but you are then not able to 'reverse' a trap if necessary.

We run the ESKO apps via Parallels on a Mac tower 2.93 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon with 16GB of RAM. OS 10.7.5

On Parallels we have a Windows XP virtual machine.

I should say this basic configuration is 4 years old and has been rock-solid. (until now)

With Windows XP only 4GB of the RAM can be assigned to the virtual machine under Parallels.

I am considering upgrading the Windows version to one that is 64bit enabled.

Would that make a difference, I'm wondering?

My guess is that it would make a huge difference. I run Parallels and VMWare and they are much slower then running windows natively.

In your trap ticket, Look for an option that says "Ignore Bitmaps" and uncheck that. I know that option can have a large impact on trapping speeds.

Hi christod,

Are you using the old trapper (prepare + create) or are you using the "Newer" PowerTrapper?

We had extremely speed improvments with the PowerTrapper (1/100 easily on some jobs).

If not, i can realy recommend switching to PowerTrapper.

And on the topic running Windows natively via BootCamp, that's a no brainer.
Windows has dedicatedd access to RAM, HD and GPU. Beats Parallels and Fusion way off...

We only allow Fusion for PreFlight and FilePreppers to have smooth crossover between the OSes since they tend to swap alot.
All other cross-platform users on a Mac has to use BootCamp. Everyting else is a wastee of system resources (unless you have a MacPro wastebasket...).

Where is that "Unified Editor" any way..... "Keyser Soze"...

Doh!

In your trap ticket, Look for an option that says "Ignore Bitmaps" and uncheck that.

I would think that by unchecking it, that will slow it down even more because you're telling it to consider and trap 1-bit images as well.

My guess is that it would make a huge difference. I run Parallels and VMWare and they are much slower then running windows natively.

In your trap ticket, Look for an option that says "Ignore Bitmaps" and uncheck that. I know that option can have a large impact on trapping speeds.

Thanks, Kevin i will give "ignore bitmaps" a try today.

Hi christod,

Are you using the old trapper (prepare + create) or are you using the "Newer" PowerTrapper?

We had extremely speed improvments with the PowerTrapper (1/100 easily on some jobs).

If not, i can realy recommend switching to PowerTrapper.

And on the topic running Windows natively via BootCamp, that's a no brainer.
Windows has dedicatedd access to RAM, HD and GPU. Beats Parallels and Fusion way off...

We only allow Fusion for PreFlight and FilePreppers to have smooth crossover between the OSes since they tend to swap alot.
All other cross-platform users on a Mac has to use BootCamp. Everyting else is a wastee of system resources (unless you have a MacPro wastebasket...).

Where is that "Unified Editor" any way..... "Keyser Soze"...

Doh!

I hadn't thought of Bootcamp. We have had such success with Parallels on more modest jobs!

Please advise what I need to do to a) get Bootcamp; B) operate Windows under Bootcamp

We have PowerTrapper. Speed is not normally an issue on modest jobs but has become "erratic" with complex jobs. I am working on a series of Pet Food bags (in other words, LARGE!) with sophisticated graphics, lots of images with close crop clipping paths.

Quite surprisingly trapping can take 4 minutes (rarely) or 40 minutes (more common). It rarely fails completely. The different bags are pretty much the same graphically speaking.

This is leading me to think that memory is being maxed out.

Hi, just to rule out the speed of your network why don't you copy across to your pc desktop and give it a go? In any case from my experience since packedge 4 trapping is getting slower by the versions

[QlUOTE=christod;206445]We have PowerTrapper. Speed is not normally an issue on modest jobs but has become "erratic" with complex jobs. I am working on a series of Pet Food bags (in other words, LARGE!) with sophisticated graphics, lots of images with close crop clipping paths.

Quite surprisingly trapping can take 4 minutes (rarely) or 40 minutes (more common). It rarely fails completely. The different bags are pretty much the same graphically speaking.

This is leading me to think that memory is being maxed out.[/QUOTE]

Hi, just to rule out the speed of your network why don't you copy across to your pc desktop and give it a go? In any case from my experience since packedge 4 trapping is getting slower by the versions

[QlUOTE=christod;206445]We have PowerTrapper. Speed is not normally an issue on modest jobs but has become "erratic" with complex jobs. I am working on a series of Pet Food bags (in other words, LARGE!) with sophisticated graphics, lots of images with close crop clipping paths.

This is leading me to think that memory is being maxed out.
[/QUOTE]

I wish I had a PC desktop. We run Windows under Parallels on the mac

I tried "ignore bitmaps" and things that previously trapped didn't. Unfortunately with files so large/complex I can't be Sherlock Holmes looking for things my trap ticket decided not to do!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back