Snow leopard file serving issue

aorta

We have Xinet, Helios and Apple networked file servers where all our files and workflow folders are held.
Since we have upgraded to Snow Leopard we are having many gliches with moving files and folders from one folder to another within the mounted file server on our desktop macs. For example.

Mac 1 moves a file from a "work to be done" folder on the server to an "out on proof" folder (also on the same server mount).
Then Mac 2 tries to double click the file in the "out on proof" folder on the server in order to work on it and the following error comes up "application can't be found" and " The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -43)."

Also folders will erratically copy instead of moving .... some of the time.

Also Photoshop files will not save back onto the file server "file cannot be found".

I have started the process of logging this with Apple as it is a real pain.

Anybody else seeing this problem

Snow leopard file serving issue - a suggestion

Snow leopard file serving issue - a suggestion

This is not my area of expertise, but strangely I got a similar request for help the other day through a different route. I asked if one of my contacts could help and he replied:

It seems that there are known Filemaker issues with upgrading the operating system from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Check out this link:

Installing FileMaker Server 10 and FileMaker Server 10 Advanced on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | FileMaker

You apparently need to do a clean install:

FileMaker Server 10.0v2 and FileMaker Server 10.0v2 Advanced requires a full installation from either the CD or Software Download file. Do not install FileMaker Server 10.0v1 and update to FileMaker Server 10.0v2 on this operating system as supporting files are not installed correctly.

In addition, if you previously updated to FileMaker Server 10.0v2 on Leopard and update the OS to Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard, the server will not function. You must do a full un-installation of FileMaker Server 10.0v2, and then a full reinstall on Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.

By the sound of things, this is where your issue lies.

I hope this helps – let me know if you need anything else ...

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Henry

Henry, I don't think Aorta has Filemaker issues, he has file serving issues.
Aorta, are you using same network mounts (AFP vs SMB?).
I know that they discontinued Appletalk on Snow Leopard, but if you upgraded from Leopard, it should have picked up Appletalk but it's not supported.
Your best bet is to try to use SMB instead of AFP.
I've noticed that CS5 apps have issues on Snow Leopard saving directly to Linux/AFP shares, while CS4 or CS3 have none of those issues on same machine.

I never recommend directly working from a server when using Photoshop (using the save menu command on an open file). I have seen too many file corruption issues working remote in Photoshop, so I always copy the file to a local drive and then move it back to the server.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back