Sonora plates and Web Offset: looking for feedback

I'm prepping for some tests on our webs with this plate. If the performance is what's been quoted, we should be a good fit. However, pressroom manager is very concerned about contaminating fountain solution, inks and water. Anyone go through this process yet with positive results?

Thanks.

I'm prepping for some tests on our webs with this plate. If the performance is what's been quoted, we should be a good fit. However, pressroom manager is very concerned about contaminating fountain solution, inks and water. Anyone go through this process yet with positive results?

Thanks.

This has been discussed on the forum many times. Do a search.

Gordo

I actually did a search before posting, and only two results came up, neither discussing these issues. Perhaps I should some other key words.

Thanks for the response though.

If you have brush or spray dampening there is little to worry about unless you run a lot of short run work (consuming a lot of plates in a short time) in which case you may want to wash the ink rollers occasionally to remove any accumulation of developed material. If you have continuous dampening I recommend you reduce the size of your circulators (using the brick in the toilet tank method) and dump the reduced volume of fountain solution at a fixed ratio to the number of plates used. Most fountain solutions can accommodate a fair amount of contamination as long as it doesn't contain the wrong type of surface active agents.
All that said, I am aware of few problems with contamination from on-press processed plates.
If it were me, I would retain my plate processors and run these plates through them using warm water instead of developer and gum as usual. That way nothing can go wrong. You still have the advantages of the process-less plate (no developer) and can avoid any possibility of on press contamination. If someone was to do this (I do not know of anyone who has done this) I would sure like to look into the developer tank after a week or so and see what has accumulated in there.

Thank you Dan, we probably average around 380 plates a day, runs of 5-50,000. We recycle our water on our wash-up system, and also do manual cleanings on the ink rollers for the non-auto wash systems. Obviously the goal would be to keep the wash-ups from increasing.

I'll have to check, but I'm not sure you can run the Sonoras through brushes and maintain their exposure time.

Tricerimotor,
The concern about press contamination is not unusual, but there is plenty of evidence that should help convince your pressroom manager that it will not be a problem. Here’s a link to a blog post and white paper that explain why press contamination doesn’t happen: "Why would I want to use my expensive press as a plate processor?" - Kodak Graphic Communications Group.

Sonora Plates use the same basic technology as our previous process free plate, Thermal Direct, and there are over 2,000 customers using this technology with no press contamination issues. You should be able to find some discussions on this forum if you search for Thermal Direct.

You will see from the white paper that the coating from the plate is removed via the first few makeready sheets on press, not into the fountain solution. Don't run the plates through a processor with water.

Pam Patterson
Product Marketing Manager, Plates
Eastman Kodak Company

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back