spectro

WharfRat

I just installed a RAZTEK 64" UV inkjet machine.
(Foamcore - vinyl banner material - heavy poster board ... etc.)
All the Color Management and profiling I am experienced with is with sheetfed presses and HPs running dyes.My spectro is just a DTP 42?
So you feed thin sheets through it.
I need a spectro to read substrates up to 2 inches thick.
Something I can use for eveything would be nice.
My DTP 42? has the UV filter (good or bad - for sheetfed?)
-
Any suggestions along with, explanations of why, would be greatly appreciated.
I also need to figure out how to profile the Raztsk prints with "PrintOpen"
which seems to need to actually drive the output device - which it does not - at this point - and can not.
So - I need another application to create profiles?

Thanks,
Mike

Actually the substrate of this inkjet machine doesn`t suit to do a color management process.The surface of this kind of material may cause some ICC accuracy issure.
If you insist, I recommend you use I1 Pro Spectrometer to complete this process.DTP42 doesn`t fit for the material now you use.

i1 Pro will do the trick. I tend to go for spectros without a UV filter. I just haven't been happy with the UV cut measurements.

As long you have reference data, I believe PrintOpen can import (and work with) any measurement set. I use ProfileMaker, but have sent measurement data to friends with PrintOpen to have them smooth it.

Coroplast can be a little tricky to profile, as it's not quite entirely opaque and sometimes your spectro can get a little confused because of that, but even at that with a little patience you can always get a good profile. Otherwise, there's absolutely no problem profiling this machine.

Are you certain "PrintOpen" drives the machine? The only "PrintOpen" I'm familiar with is a Heidelberg profile-making software. Your machine should be "driven" by a RIP; I'd assume EFI Fiery with that machine. If there's a PrintOpen RIP, I'm not familiar with it, but the following will still apply.

The profiling process for RIP driven inkjets is always the same. You set your ink restrictions first, then you linearize the machine, then--having created the state of the machine--you make an ICC profile for that machine in that state.

The first three functions almost always have to be done in the RIP and every RIP has some means of dealing with them. The last function can either be done with profile-writing software provided in the RIP, or third-party software.

As for spectros, I'm an old contrarian and actually kind of prefer the old Pulse for rigid substrate machines. Of course you'd have to be able to find a used one as they're not made anymore. And you do have to be sure your profile-making software will either recognize it, or you have to be able to generate a date file from it in some format your software will recognize.

Otherwise an iOne Pro will work just fine. Obviously the important issue is that you need a device that you just run over the material as opposed to feeding the material through it.

Truth be told, with the kind of substrates you'll be running on this machine, you can get a UV cut or un-UV cut spectro and it's extremely unlikely you'll ever notice the difference in your profiles.

It might be worth your while to get some training on this. Keep in mind that making the ICC profile is the easy part. Setting your ink restrictions and limits and linearizing your machine are going to determine how it prints. And no one on any message board can really adequately tell you how to do that.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Last edited:
That is what I mentioned - that our PrintOpen will NOT drive the RAZTEK.
I have no other profiling software.
So - how would I make a profile set to run into PrintOpen?
If I was to buy Profiling Software
couldn't I just use that software to create the final profile.
We are somewhat educated about linerization and ink limits
so, I think, we would figure that out OK.
The general agreement here seems to be an iOne would be a good spectro choice.
What would be a good compatible software for our operation?

Thank
MSD

Actually, any software that will make CMYK ICC profiles is compatible with your operation. You generate the patches in your profile-making application, then print them using the media setting you're creating with no profile applied.

I've never actually used PrintOpen, but I'd be pretty surprised if it won't accept data from an iOne. If not, however, like Rich I'm pretty sure you can import data into it. You can download ColorPort from X-Rite, read your patches, save the data as a CGATS file and more than likely import that into PrintOpen. Then you generate your profile and import it back into the RIP.

Mike Adams

Keep in mind that making the ICC profile is the easy part. Setting your ink restrictions and limits and linearizing your machine are going to determine how it prints. And no one on any message board can really adequately tell you how to do that.

Uhh...I can, if you give me enough time, space, attention....and money.

;)

Regards,
Terry

OK - then ...
Give me the particulars.
Now -
i have a Heidi Speedmaster 52 (5c - p - coater)
a 52 (2c) - (no color matching required) -
soon (probably) getting a 29" (Heidi - or KBA or Komori)
- iGEN3
- HP 5500 (soon another proofer also - brand?)
RAZTEK 64"
-
We are "happy" with our sheetfed color matching.
Would be cool to be able to
color match the entire shop.
And motivated to G7 color

MSD

Well, if you're serious, I'd suggest you contact Terry, and you contact me, off the list.

Both of us are pretty well-known and either of us can get you to where you need to be.

Mike Adams

WharfRat,

The sw Print Open has migrated into Profile Tool. Profile Tool has newer algorithms, has the drivers for the new spectros like i1. By the way, there is an another function to Profile Tool, it has a tool called gray balance optimizer which will generate the data for near neutral curves with a few mouse clicks. This info is fed into Calibration Manager on Meta. We use this when we perform G7 qualification.

Heidelberg - Prinect Color Toolbox

http://www.us.heidelberg.com/www/html/en/content/articles/us_news/news_20090303

Do not get confused by the name changes, Print Open launched in 1993 for our scanners. Eventually we migrated it into a program suite called Prinect Color Toolbox with Profile Tool replacing Print Open and two more programs as part of the suite, Quality Monitor and standalone Calibration Manager. They can be purchased as a suite or individual programs

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back