Splitting even paged PDFs in half saved as two files

CruzinCooler

We get high page count PDFs (2400 pages as an example) that we have to save out as two PDFs, First PDF would contain pages 1-1200 and a second PDF containing pages 1201 -2400. I know there is an Acrobat tool under Organize Pages > Split that allows you to do this but you must enter an actual page count for where it is to be split. I need an automated action for eventual use in Pitstop Server to speed up and automate the work flow. We have a large volume of files and it takes time to do this manually. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

You need the file in two hot folders (or three *)
the first takes care of the first chunk, and deletes the other pages
the second takes care of the second chunk, and deletes the rest
Repeat

you can can probably get creative on the page count variable if you have Switch Core which comes with PitStop Server now
but that's the theory

You need the file in two hot folders (or three *)
the first takes care of the first chunk, and deletes the other pages
the second takes care of the second chunk, and deletes the rest
Repeat

you can can probably get creative on the page count variable if you have Switch Core which comes with PitStop Server now
but that's the theory
I'm not sure how to get the PDF page count identified by half. I see where you are going with the multiple hot folders but I'm missing how to split it in half. Thank you for your input.

If you're on a Mac, or have access to one, you could actually do this rather easily using the Coherent PDF Command Line Toolkit (CPDF) and a little bit of basic Applescript... CPDF can glom the total number of pages from the PDF, then use the total number of pages ÷ 2 to split the files into two separate PDFs. This could be made into a drag n drop applet, or automated with a hot folder using something like Hazel. CPDF is only free for personal use, not free for commercial use.

I think you could also use QPDF and Applescript to accomplish the same thing... QPDF is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0, but I don't know enough about that stuff to know if that means free for commercial use.

Thinking on it a little more, it looks like both CPDF and QPDF are available for Mac/Windows/Linux, but I don't know how to automate it on Windows or Linux. Applescript makes it very simple. It's actually quite impressive what CPDF and QPDF can do, but I think CPDF is probably a bit more capable than QPDF, IMHO. Both can be installed on a Mac quite easily using Homebrew.

If you're on a Mac, or have access to one, you could actually do this rather easily using the Coherent PDF Command Line Toolkit (CPDF) and a little bit of basic Applescript... CPDF can glom the total number of pages from the PDF, then use the total number of pages ÷ 2 to split the files into two separate PDFs. This could be made into a drag n drop applet, or automated with a hot folder using something like Hazel. CPDF is only free for personal use, not free for commercial use.

I think you could also use QPDF and Applescript to accomplish the same thing... QPDF is released under the Apache License, Version 2.0, but I don't know enough about that stuff to know if that means free for commercial use.

Thinking on it a little more, it looks like both CPDF and QPDF are available for Mac/Windows/Linux, but I don't know how to automate it on Windows or Linux. Applescript makes it very simple. It's actually quite impressive what CPDF and QPDF can do, but I think CPDF is probably a bit more capable than QPDF, IMHO. Both can be installed on a Mac quite easily using Homebrew.
Thanks all for the help. I got an email from our programming guru and he came up with a Javascript to accomplish what the prepress team needed. I'll check into to it later.

Just so you know. Switch Core now comes with PitStop Server since 2020.

Just so you know. Switch Core now comes with PitStop Server since 2020.
I thought from only 2021 but I will check with the IT dept if they plan to do an install. I'm out today so I'll check back with them tomorrow. Thank you abc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back