spray powder - which do you use?

Albert Noel

currently using varn r-27 on a 23x29 press. having issues with excessive buildup on impression cylinders and in the delivery. also not able to run stacks as high as i used to. i know they are having issues lately with that particular powder, so my questions:

1: which powder are you using?
2: which grain size?
3: do you rack your job in small lifts or can you run large stacks?
4: what size press?

I'm looking to try something new.

hi there,

in brief, russel web 1.5 micron regular spray powder on a speedmaster 74 running 150gsm to 350gsm medium to large coverage in lifts up to 5000 150gsm and 2000 ish 350 gsm with spray set to 3-5%. I used varn as you may have noticed in earlier threads and it never performed that well over the last year or so.

Paul

yeah i'm willing to try just about anything at this point, if we can get it in north america. (i'm in canada, but can get stuff shipped up from the U.S. pretty easily)
is that stuff

paultheprinter,
i'm a little concerned about moving down to a 15 micron powder as we are currently using 27 micron powder, nearly twice the size. not sure if my powder unit is designed for such a small partical. id be willing to try the 2.5 or the 3.0. i have some 25 micron saphira from Heidelberg Canada but I'm not sure if i want to try it.
how is that brand between coated and uncoated papers?

Last edited:
We use the russell web 1.5r spray powerder, an all weights of stock..
If I was staying with the company I would be going up to the 2.0r or 2.5r Because the shinohara's spray nozzels are not accurate at all and I'm needing too much spray powder on 130gsm gloss stocks as some areas of the sheet don't get as much spray as others. as the air builds up in the pump you get sudden woosh's of powder that covers you and everything in the stuff, even though you may have it nearly completly turned off..
and then when backing that job up I can only get 2000 sheets through before I need to clean the blankets..I think the larger micron would help this problem a little..

But so far the russell web has worked the best out of all the brands of powders we have used, and have not had blocked lines or nozel's yet with it...

i may have to see about getting some shipped to me. i really want to try a smaller powder because i think it would help with alot of our spray powder issues. guess i will see what man roland recommends in this press.

Spray Powder

Spray Powder

Dear user,
you can try Spray Powder range from ABC/ALLIED PRESSROOM PRODUCTS. This is a superior line with very high quality. Powder is coated with very fine silicone which give you possibility to reduce dosing of spray powder and the same time you have less or non problems with UV coating, foils lamination or second side printing.
Contact www.alliedchem.com or www.abcalliedchem.com

rgrds
K

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back